In this tutorial, we will see how to install TWRP recovery and root Samsung Galaxy S8 and Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus. Thanks to the incredibly talented XDA Forum Member jesec for making this possible, all credits to him!
Recommended for you: Install Viper4Android on Galaxy S8/S8 Plus
- Make a complete backup of your device: Guide to completely backup your device
- Make sure you have the latest USB Drivers installed on your PC. Get the latest USB Drivers from the below link: Download latest USB driver for your device
- Enable USB Debugging on your device: Guide to enable Developer Options and USB Debugging
This method currently works only on the Exynos Version of the device. All the supported device models are listed below. Refrain from trying this on other models!
Galaxy S8 Plus:
Enable OEM Unlock:
Please note that enabling OEM Unlock will delete all the data on your device. Make a backup before proceeding!
- Go to Settings > About Phone > Software information
- Tap on the ‘Build number’ seven times until you see the text ‘You are now a developer’.
- Go back. Tap on ‘Developer Options’.
- Here you will see the ‘OEM Unlocking’ option. Tap on it to enable it.
- Tap on ‘USB Debugging‘ and enable the same as well.
You need to download Odin to your PC before proceeding.
Download Odin v3.10 | 1.75 MB
Download TWRP and Root file for Samsung Galaxy S8 and Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus:
Make sure to download the one appropriate to your device:
TWRP and Root For Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus | 40.2 MB
Install TWRP on Samsung Galaxy S8 and Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus:
Please follow the below steps carefully:
- Reboot your device into download mode:
- Switch off your device.
- Press and hold Volume Down Key + Bixby Key + Power Key all at the same time.
- Your device will now switch on and you will be shown a warning.
- Press Volume Up key to ignore the warning and proceed.
- Your device will now be in download mode.
- Extract the Odin zip file and double click on the Odin3.exe file to run the application.
- Connect your Samsung Galaxy S8/S8 Plus to your PC. The official cable is recommended for this. If your device is recognized properly, you will see the text ‘Added!!’. See screenshot below:
- Click on ‘AP’. You will be asked to select a file. Browse and select the file that you have downloaded above. Make sure you have downloaded file appropriate for your device (S8 or S8 Plus).
- After adding, press ‘Start’.
- Once the process is completed, you will see a green indicator stating ‘Pass’. Refer screen below:
- Your device will now automatically reboot into TWRP recovery. Here you will be asked to confirm the modification of system partition. Tap on the ‘Never show this screen during boot again‘ and then tap on ‘Swipe to Allow Modification‘.As soon as you flash TWRP, two files named ‘no-verity-opt-encrypt.zip‘ and ‘Magisk-v12.0-arm64.zip‘ are automatically created and placed in a folder(mentioned in the below step) on your device. These files are used to successfully root your device.
- Once you are inside TWRP, tap on Install. Then tap on Up a level > twres > flashables. This is where the two files I mentioned earlier will be present. Tap on ‘no-verity-opt-encrypt.zip’ first and then ‘Swipe to confirm flash‘.
- After the installation is successful, Go to TWRP home. Tap on Reboot > Recovery.
- Once you are again inside TWRP, tap on Wipe > Format data. You will be warned that this will format all the data on your phone. Type ‘yes’ to confirm.
- Now again go back to TWRP main screen and tap on Install. Then tap on Up a level > twres > flashables. This time select the file ‘Magisk-v12.0-arm64.zip‘ and then ‘Swipe to confirm flash‘.
- After the installation is complete, tap on ‘Reboot System’.
- Your first boot will take a long time, do not worry, this is expected.
- Once you are inside your device, you will notice that you have a new application named ‘Magisk Manager‘. If not, you can simply get it by clicking below:
- After installing, open the app. There your device’s root status will be shown.
Congratulations, you have successfully installed TWRP and Rooted your Samsung Galaxy S8/S8 Plus!
You might want to see: 50 Best Root Apps for Android
If you have any doubts regarding any of the steps above, please drop a comment below! 🙂
- Download ZTE Nubia M2 Stock Wallpapers
- Download HTC U Ultra Ringtones, Notification tones
- Download and Install HTC 10 Stock Apps on Any Android Device
- Download LG G6 Ringtones here
- Download and Install 180+ Fonts for Android 5.x, 6.x, and 7.x Devices