Samsung has the habit of releasing different variants of the same phone for different markets. The main difference between them is that one set of the phones will have their home grown Exynos Chipset while the other set will have the Qualcomm Snapdragon chipset. If you are rocking an Exynos version of the phone, then you might be well aware that root and TWRP for the Exynos version have been available for quite some time now. Now, root and TWRP is available for the Snapdragon Variant of Galaxy S8/S8+ as well; at least for some models. Read ahead to know how to root and install TWRP on Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+.
You might also like: Best Custom ROMs for Samsung Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8 Plus
- Make a complete backup of your device: Guide to completely backup your device
- Make sure you have the latest USB Drivers installed on your PC. Get the latest USB Drivers from the below link: Download latest USB driver for your device
- Download ADB and Fastboot Drivers on your PC: Download and Install ADB and Fastboot
- Enable USB Debugging on Galaxy S8/S8+:
- Go to Settings > About phone > Software information.
- Tap on Build number, 5 or 6 times till you see the text ‘Developer mode has been turned on‘.
- Go back to Settings > Developer Options.
- Tap on ‘USB debugging‘ to enable the same.
- Download the latest version of ODIN: You can get it here.
- TWRP for Galaxy S8 (dreamqlte – Snapdragon Variant)
- TWRP for Galaxy S8+ (dream2qlte – Snapdragon Variant)
- Semi-stock Kernel
- Magisk Manager App
- Magisk Zip
- dm-verity and force encryption disabler
Unlock Your Galaxy S8/S8+
- Remove Samsung Account: It is important to note here that, the models we are dealing with here do not have OEM Unlock option. All we are going to do here is just disable the reactivation lock. The reactivation lock gets enabled when you are signed in with your Samsung Account on your device. To remove/disable the same, go to Settings > Cloud and Accounts > Accounts > Select your Samsung Account > tap on the menu and remove the account.
- Install Unlock Tool: Download the unlock tool APK from here: CROM Service APK. Copy the same to your phone and run it. That should unlock your device.
Install TWRP on Galaxy S8/S8+
Follow the below instructions carefully:
- Make sure you have downloaded the correct version of TWRP ( in .tar format) from the downloads section above.
- Reboot Galaxy S8/S8+ into download mode:
- Power down your device.
- Press and hold Volume Down + Bixby + Power buttons for a few seconds until you see warning on your screen.
- When the warning appears, release the above keys and click the Volume Up key to enter download mode.
- Extract the Odin Zip file you have downloaded above and run the Odin3.exe on your PC.
- Connect your phone to your PC with USB cable. If everything is working fine, you should see the ID:COM port in ODIN turn blue.
- Now, click on on the AP button on ODIN and select the download TWRP image file in .tar format. Make sure that Options > Auto-reboot is unchecked.
- Click on ‘Start‘. ODIN will flash the TWRP on your device.
- Once the installation is complete, disconnect your phone from PC. DO NOT SWITCH IT ON.
- Reboot into TWRP Recovery: Press and hold Volume Up + Bixby + Power keys together to boot your phone into recovery mode.
- Once you are inside TWRP recovery, select Wipe > Format Data and then type Yes to continue.
- Once the above process compeletes, got to Reboot and select Recovery.to reboot your device into TWRP again.
- Connect your device to your PC (while still in TWRP) and copy the downloaded dm-verity and force encryption disabler.zip to your phone.
- In TWRP home, tap on ‘Install‘ and select the copied dm-verity and force encryption disabler.zip and then flash it.
- Reboot your device.
Root Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+
As the Samsung’s stock kernel does not allow any modifications to the system, we are going to make use of a custom kernel (thanks to jesec) to achieve root (through magisk) on Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+.
- Download the Semi-stock kernel and Magisk flashable zips from the downloads section above.
- Copy the zip files to your phone
- Reboot your Galaxy S8/S8+ into TWRP Recovery:
- Power down your device.
- Press and hold Volume Up + Bixby + Power keys together to boot your phone into recovery mode.
- Once you are inside TWRP, tap on Install and select the custom kernel first.
- Then, tap on Add more zips and select Magisk. Swipe to start the flashing process.
- When the flashing completes, tap Reboot system to reboot your device.
- After reboot, download and install the Magisk Manager Apk from the downloads section above.
- Congratulations, you have successfully rooted your device!
If you need any help with any of the steps above, simply drop a comment below.