In this article, we will tell you how to Unroot OnePlus 5 and completely return it to Stock. At this point, it is no doubt that OnePlus 5, just like all the other OnePlus devices, is an extremely developer friendly device with a lot of development going for it. You can install a custom ROM, custom Kernel, custom TWRP Recovery and even root the device to take full control of it. But there are times when you have tried everything and you just feel like going back to stock. Of course, being on the stock ROM has its own advantages. The most important one is that you always receive the latest update as OTA to your device. You don’t have to download and install a zip file manually every time you need the latest software on your device. Read ahead to know how to unroot and return your OnePlus 5 completely to stock.
Table of Contents
- ADB and Fastboot: Follow this link – Download, Install, and setup latest ADB and Fastboot drivers on your computer.
- Ensure that your phone has at least 50% of charge, just in case.
- Enable USB debugging: Go to Settings > About phone > Tap on Build number seven times. This will enable Developer options. Now again go to Settings > Developer Options > Enable USB debugging.
- Enable OEM Unlocking: Go to Settings > Developer options and then click on ‘OEM Unlocking‘ to enable the same.
Loving your OnePlus 5?Never miss an update, follow us on social media!
Like us on Facebook:
Follow us on Twitter:
Follow us on Google Plus:
Download Necessary Unroot Files for OnePlus 5
You need two things to bring your rooted OnePlus 5 completely to stock:
- OnePlus 5 Stock Recovery: Download it here. Rename the downloaded file to ‘recovery.zip‘.
- Latest Oxygen OS: Download it here. Rename the downloaded file to ‘update.zip‘.
How to Unroot OnePlus 5 and return to stock
Follow the below steps carefully:
- Now copy the above-downloaded OnePlus 5 Stock Recovery and latest Oxygen OS to the folder where ADB and Fastboot are installed. Most probably C:\Minimal ADB and Fastboot.
- Rename the recovery file to ‘recovery.img‘, if not done already.
- Reboot OnePlus 5 into fastboot mode.
- Switch off your phone. Wait a few seconds to make sure it is completely turned off.
- Press and hold Power Button + Volume Down button at the same time.
- Once your phone reboots into fastboot mode, connect it to your PC using USB cable.
- Open the folder where ADB and fastboot are installed. Now, hold down Shift Key and Right Click and select ‘Open command window here‘.
- Now run the below command in the command prompt:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- You now have stock recovery on your OnePlus 5. To reboot into stock recovery:
- Power Down your OnePlus 5.
- After the phone is completely switched off – Press and Hold the Power Button and Volume Down Buttons at the Same Time.
- Continue Holding these two buttons past the OnePlus/Android Splash Screen that appears.
- When the phone boots into Recovery Mode, release the power and volume down buttons.
- Once you are in Stock Recovery, choose the option that says ‘Install from ADB‘. Now the phone will be put into ADB sideload mode.
- Make sure your device is connected to your PC via USB cable. Open the command prompt in the folder where ADB and fastboot are installed. Make sure the ‘update.zip’ file is present inside it.
- Run the below command in the command prompt:
adb sideload update.zip
- Please note that the flashing process will take around 5 to 10 minutes and once it completes, reboot your OnePlus 5.
Congratulations, your OnePlus 5 is now unrooted and completely in stock mode. Enjoy!
Need root again? [Guide] OnePlus 5 – Root, Install TWRP, and Unlock Bootloader
If you have any doubts or need help with any of the steps above, do drop a comment below!