.A detailed step by step guide on how to unbrick hard bricked OnePlus 5 and completely return to stock. OnePlus 5 is undoubtedly one of the best smartphone available right now. No other phone can even come close to the value for money the device offers. Right from the build quality to the software experience, OnePlus 5 is an absolute beauty inside and out. One of the major reasons why I love OnePlus devices is their developer friendliness. There are tons of custom ROMs, MODs, and Kernels available for all the OnePlus devices. Such developer friendly devices are good, even when it comes to unbricking.
You might also like: 50 Best Root Apps for Android
As they say, with great power comes great responsibility. When you have tons and tons of custom ROMs and Kernels and MODs available, there is a good chance that you brick your phone when you try out one of them. What’s worst? Hard bricking your device. Fortunately, it is comparatively quite easy to unbrick OnePlus 5. In this article, we will tell you how to unbrick your hard bricked OnePlus 5 and completely return it to stock.
Table of Contents
- Make sure you have the OnePlus USB drivers installed on your PC: Download them here.
- Make sure you have a proper ADB and Fastboot environment on your PC: Read the ADB and Fastboot Setup Guide.
- Make sure your device has enough charge to undergo the unbricking process. Pro tip: Bricked devices can still be charged.
Before proceeding with the tutorial, you need to download the below things:
How to Unbrick OnePlus 5
- Make sure your bricked OnePlus 5 is completely powered off.
- Connect your OnePlus 5 to your PC via a USB Cable while you are holding down the Volume Up button on OnePlus 5.
- Open Device Manager on your PC.
- Press Win Key + R.
- Type ‘devmgmt.msc‘.
- Press enter.
- Scroll down until you see ‘Unknown Devices’. Under Unknown Devices, find QHUSB_BULK > right click on the same > select Update driver.
- Your device should now be listed as Qualcomm 9008. Take a look at the picture below:
- Once the above step is complete, open the Unbrick Tool with administrative privileges. To do this, right click on it and select Run as administrator.
- If everything is fine, your device will show up as ‘Com Device‘ in the tool. See below picture:
- Click on the ‘Start‘ button on the top left corner to begin the unbricking process of your OnePlus 5.
- Wait until you see a green flashing text. This marks that the process has completed successfully, congratulations!
Attention: Not so fast, we have one more thing to do! As this unbrick tool is taken from the Chinese OnePlus 5 forums, the unbrick tool will flash the Hydrogen OS on your device. So, if you want to install the Oxygen OS, head on to the next section.
How to flash Oxygen OS
As already said above, now you will have Hydrogen OS installed on your OnePlus 5. To install Oxygen OS over it, follow the below guide:
- The first thing you need to do is, install a custom recovery on your OnePlus 5. You can read how to do that in this link. Whether it is Oxygen OS or Hydrogen OS, the guide to install TWRP recovery is the same. Simply follow the guide in the link give above.
- Download and copy the Oxygen OS (link given above in the downloads section) zip file to your device.
- Reboot your OnePlus 5 into TWRP recovery:
- Power Down your OnePlus 5.
- After the phone is completely switched off – Press and Hold the Power Button and Volume Down Buttons at the Same Time.
- Continue Holding these two buttons past the OnePlus/Android Splash Screen that appears.
- When the phone boots into Recovery Mode, release the power and volume down buttons.
- Assuming you have successfully booted into TWRP recovery, tap on Wipe > Advanced Wipe and wipe system, data, cache and dalvik cache.
- Next, go to TWRP home and tap on ‘Install’ from the available options. You will be asked to choose a file to flash/install. Browse and select the downloaded .zip Oxygen OS file and then ‘Swipe to install.’
- Reboot your device.
Please note that the device will take longer than usual to boot up during the first boot. Be patient.
Need Root? Now, you have stock Oxygen OS installed on your OnePlus 5, congratulations! If you wish to root your OnePlus 5, simply follow the below guide: Root OnePlus 5
If you need any help with any of the steps above, simply drop a comment below!