Samsung Galaxy S8/S8 Plus are among the most famous smartphones available right now. If the numbers are to be believed, the duo is comfortably outselling their predecessor, Galaxy S7 by a huge margin. The phone duo comes with an edge to edge display, which Samsung likes to call as ‘Infinity Display’, is the main attraction. Previous, we had reported that the TWRP and root were available for Exynos and Snapdragon Variants. But even those guide, were limited to specific models.
TWRP and Root for Other Variants
The thing is, when Samsung releases a phone, they release many variants of a single model which very hard for development. Still, our wonderful developers at XDA Forums are hard at work and are coming up with TWRP for every model of the Galaxy S8/S8 Plus. The recent variant to get the TWRP and Root treatment is the Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus SM-G955U. Read ahead to know how to root Samsung Galaxy S8 and install TWRP recovery on Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus SM-G955U.
Table of Contents
- Make a complete backup of your device:
- Make sure you have the latest USB Drivers installed on your PC. Get the latest USB Drivers from the below link:
- Download ADB and Fastboot Drivers on your PC:
- Make sure you have enough battery left to go through the procedure.
- Enable USB Debugging on Galaxy S8/S8+:
- Go to Settings > About phone > Software information.
- Tap on Build number, 5 or 6 times till you see the text ‘Developer mode has been turned on‘.
- Go back to Settings > Developer Options.
- Tap on ‘USB debugging‘ to enable the same.
- Download the latest version of ODIN: You can get it here.
You need to download the below files before proceeding with the guide:
TWRP and Root Files
Unlock Your Galaxy S8/S8+
- Remove Samsung Account: It is important to note here that, the models we are dealing with here do not have OEM Unlock option. All we are going to do here is just disable the reactivation lock. The reactivation lock gets enabled when you are signed in with your Samsung Account on your device. To remove/disable the same, go to Settings > Cloud and Accounts > Accounts > Select your Samsung Account > tap on the menu and remove the account.
- Install Unlock Tool: Download the unlock tool APK from here: CROM Service APK. Copy the same to your phone and run it. That should unlock your device.
Steps to Install TWRP on Galaxy S8 Plus SM-G955U
Follow the below instructions carefully:
- Reboot Galaxy S8/S8+ into download mode:
- Power down your device.
- Press and hold Volume Down + Bixby + Power buttons for a few seconds until you see warning on your screen.
- When the warning appears, release the above keys and click the Volume Up key to enter download mode.
- Extract the Odin Zip file you have downloaded above and run the Odin3.exe on your PC.
- Connect your phone to your PC with USB cable. If everything is working fine, you should see the ID:COM port in ODIN turn blue.
- Now, click on on the AP button on ODIN and select the download TWRP image file in .tar format (DO NOT extract it). Make sure that Options > Auto-reboot is unchecked.
- Click on ‘Start‘. ODIN will flash the TWRP on your device.
- Once the installation is complete, disconnect your phone from PC. DO NOT SWITCH IT ON.
Steps to Root Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus SM-G955U
- Copy the downloaded (from above downloads section) SuperSU-v2.82 file to your phone memory.
- Reboot Galaxy S8/S8+ into TWRP mode:
- Power down your device.
- Press and hold Volume Up+ Bixby + Power buttons for a few seconds.
- Release the keys once you are in TWRP recovery.
- Once you are inside TWRP, tap on Install and select the SuperSu zip file.
- Reboot your device.
If you have any doubts with any of the steps above, please drop a comment below and we will help you out!