A detailed step by step guide to unlock the bootloader of any Xiaomi Device. Xiaomi is one among the trending brands of smartphones. This brand brings you a great set of the specification of a smartphone at a very reasonable price. The smartphones of Xiaomi runs on the Android OS developed by the brand itself and it is known as MIUI. Some Android developers also use MIUI Custom ROM’s for their devices. To install a Custom ROM you have to flash a TWRP or any other Recovery on your device and to do so you need to Unlock Bootloader of the device. Unlocking Bootloader will give you access to Customize the Android OS in different ways.
Recommended for you: 50 Best Root Apps for Android
Unlocking Bootloader will allow you to install various other Custom ROM’s on your device. It will also allow various other customization like removing system apps and saving space, Rooting your device, etc. You can Unlock bootloader by following these simple steps if your device is not listed below and it is a Xiaomi smartphone you should give a try but I will be not responsible for any damage caused to your device.
Table of Contents
This method has so far been tested on the below devices, but, should work fine all Xiaomi Devices.
- Redmi Note 3
- Redmi Note 4
- Redmi Note 4G
- Redmi 3
- Redmi 3s
- Redmi 3s Prime
- Redmi 4
- Redmi Pro Mi 3
- Mi 5
- Mi 5Plus
- Mi Mix
- Mi Max
- Mi6 etc.
- Your device must be at least 50% charged.
- Use a good USB cable, not one which has a loose connection.
- Make a complete backup of your device:
Note: Unlocking bootloader may void your warranty!
Steps to Unlock Bootloader on Xiaomi devices
Step 1. Getting permissions from Xiaomi
1. Go to the Xiaomi’s page of MIUI unlock. preferably use Chrome browser for language translation purpose.
3. Now a new page will open asking you to log in with your Mi Id this page will be in the Chinese language change the language by clicking on English option on the bottom of the page. Sign in using your Mi account details.
4. Once, you have signed in you will see Unlock option in the options tab click on it.
5. Now you will see Unlock Application Permission form/page.
6. Fill the details with your Name, Number and the reason to unlock the bootloader. And tap on the button Apply Immediately. Reson to unlock the bootloader you can write as ‘Phone is bricked, I request you to accept my approval’ this will be short and simple and valid reason to unlock the bootloader.
7. At the next page, you will need to enter the verification code sent to you via SMS on your number.
8. Once done, you will see a page “Application has been successfully submitted “. Now, wait till the application gets Approved.
9. When you get SMS confirmation Xiaomi granting the Bootloader to be unlocked you can proceed to follow the further steps.
Note: It might take 2-9 days to get your application approved.
Step 2. Unlocking Bootloader via Xiaomi Flash Tool
- Enable Developer options: Go to Settings > About > Tap 7 times on Build number
2. Enable USB Debugging button: Go to Settings > Developer options > Enable USB Debugging button
3. Enable OEM Unlock: Go to Settings > Developer options > Enable OEM Unlock button
4. Download Mi Flash Tool and install it on your PC.
5. Power off your phone. Now boot your phone into Bootloader mode
Holding Power button + Volume Down simultaneously
6. Once your phone is in Bootloader mode connect it to PC via USB cable.
7. Now Run MiFlashTool.exe and open the application and log in with the same Mi Id used when getting the Unlock Bootloader permission. After filling details click on log in button.
8. Now a page will appear. If it shows Phone connected then follow me or check the USB cable connection.
9. Click on Unlock button wait till the process gets completed.
10.Done. Congratulations! Your Xiaomi device’s Bootloader has been Unlocked.
If you need any help with any of the steps above, please do drop a comment below and we will help you out!