A detailed step by step guide on how to install TWRP and Root OnePlus 3 and OnePlus 3T running Android 8.0 Oreo. All the necessary downloads included! Yesterday was a great day for all the OnePlus 3 and OnePlus 3T owners, as OnePlus has released the latest beta version for Oxygen OS based on Android 8.0 Oreo. The update comes with all the goodness of Android Oreo such as picture-in-picture mode, Notification dots, Google AutoFill API and much more. There is also a new look for the Quick Settings in the Oxygen OS. As this is a beta build, some hiccups are expected and OnePlus warned the users of the same. I flashed the update the moment it was made available and I have not experienced any problems so far; it’s all buttery smooth! Today we will show you how to install TWRP and Root your OnePlus 3/3T running Android Oreo.
TWRP and Root for OnePlus 3 running Android 8.0 Oreo
When the update was released, the need to find a new way to root Android Oreo running OnePlus 3 also arose. Of course, the existing TWRP would not be compatible with the Android Oreo. But our community was quick enough to come up with a workaround and a developer provided us with the modified TWRP to work with Android Oreo. Read ahead to know how to root your OnePlus 3 running Android Oreo.
Recommended | Download OnePlus Music Player APK for OnePlus Devices
Download the below files and keep them ready:
- TWRP for OnePlus 3/3T Running Android Oreo: Download TWRP
- SuperSU Zip file for OnePlus 3/3T Running Android Oreo: Download SuperSU Zip
- Minimal ADB and Fastboot: Make sure the below is installed and setup properly on your PC before proceeding with the tutorial: Download and Install ADB and Fastboot
How to install TWRP one OnePlus 3/3T Running Android Oreo
After installing the official OnePlus 3/3T Beta based on Android Oreo, follow the below steps:
- Copy the downloaded SuperSU Zip file to your phone.
- Copy the TWRP file to the folder where ADB and Fastboot are installed.
- Turn off your OnePlus 3/3T.
- Boot your OnePlus 3/3T into Fasboot mode > Press and hold the Volume Up Button + Power Button.
- Connect your phone to your PC via USB Cable.
- Open a command window on the folder where ADB and Fastboot are installed.
- Go to the folder where ADB and Fastboot are installed.
- Hold down Shift Key > Right Click on the empty space > Choose ‘Open CMD Here’.
- Execute the below command in the command window to see if your device is properly connected:
- Make sure the TWRP file is in the ADB folder. Execute the below command to install TWRP on your OnePlus 3/3T running Android Oreo:
fastboot flash recovery TWRP-Oreo-OnePlus-3-3T.img
- Do not restart your device upon installation. The procedure is not yet over. See the next section to know how to root your device.
Steps to Root OnePlus 3/3T running Android Oreo
Follow the below steps:
- Assuming you are now in Fastboot Mode, use the volume buttons and choose ‘Recovery Mode’ and then press the power button to enter TWRP Recovery.
- Once you are in TWRP > Tap on ‘Install’ > Choose the SuperSU Zip file which you have downloaded from above > Swipe right to flash.
- Reboot your device.
Congratulations, you have successfully installed TWRP and rooted your OnePlus 3/3T running Android Oreo.
If you need any help with any of the steps above, please drop a comment below.
All Credits to XDA Forum Member akhilnarang for the modified TWRP for Android Oreo.