A detailed step by step guide on how to root Pixel 2 XL with Magisk. In the Android Universe, Google Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL are the most trending devices as of now. The camera capabilities of the Pixel 2 duo is being universally lauded but the devices also receiving a lot of flack for various issues. All that aside, the developer community has been very busy in achieving root and TWRP Recovery for the devices. In case if you have missed it, TWRP is now available for Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL. It is important to note here that the TWRP is still in early Alpha stage and may not be for the faint of heart. The reason why it is taking this long to root Pixel 2 [XL] is that they are not built the way other Androids so far are built. To put it in layman terms, the way Pixel 2’s internals are designed is a little bit different from previous generation phones. Nonetheless, the legendary developer topjohnwu has come with a way to root Pixel 2 XL. Be are some screenshots which show the root access on Pixel 2 XL:
In this article, we will tell you how to root your Pixel 2 XL.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device:
- Download and Setup ADB and Fastboot on your PC:
You are going to need two things:
- The ‘boot.img‘ file of your device. This can be found in the official factory images of your device. Go to the below link:
- Please note that the codeword for Pixel 2 XL is ‘taimen’. Look for the words <“taimen” for Pixel 2 XL>. The download links will be right below it. Make sure to download the one appropriate to your device model/carrier.
- After downloading the file, extract it.
- After extracting, you will again get a .zip file. Extract that as well.
- In the finally extracted file, you will find the ‘boot.img‘ file.
Modified Magisk Manager APK:
The usual Magisk Manager APK will not do the work. topjohnwu has specially made a Magisk Manager to root Pixel 2 XL. Download it from below link:
Steps to Root Google Pixel 2 XL
Make sure you have both the files mentioned above. Read ahead:
- Make sure the things mentioned in ‘Prerequisites’ section above are in place.
- Copy the ‘boot.img’ file and ‘MagiskManager-v5.4.1.apk’ file to your device.
- Install the ‘MagiskManager-v5.4.1.apk‘ as normal APK.
- Click on install > you will be prompted to select a file > select the ‘boot.img’ file which you have copied.
- The above step will modify the boot.img of your device which we will use to root Pixel 2 XL. Wait for a few minutes for the Magisk manager to do complete the process.
- Once the process is complete, the modified Pixel 2 XL boot.img file will be stored in the below location on your phone:
- Open a file explorer of your choice > Copy the ‘patched_boot.img‘ file to your Internal Storage.
- Connect your device to PC via USB cable.
- If this is the first time you are connecting your device to PC after enabling ‘USB Debugging’, your phone might throw a popup asking for confirmation. Tap the checkbox which says ‘Always allow from this computer‘ and tap on ‘OK’.
- Copy the ‘patched_boot.img’ file from your phone to your PC. Copy it to the folder when ADB and Fastboot are installed.
- Open command prompt inside the folder where ADB and Fastboot are installed.
- Hold down Shift Key > Right Click > Select ‘Open command window here’.
- Execute the below command in the command window to make sure your device is properly connected:
If your device is properly connected, you will see your device getting listed in the command window.
- Now, execute the below command:
- Wait for your device to boot into bootloader mode. Once you are in, execute the below command in the command window:
fastboot flash boot patched_boot.img
- Reboot your device when the flashing is completed.
Congratulations, you now have successfully rooted your Pixel 2 XL. Looking for some nice apps for your Rooted Pixel 2 XL? Check out the below: