OnePlus truly released a flagship killer device this year. The device released is OnePlus 5T before OnePlus 5T, OnePlus 5 was released which was an amazing device. OnePlus 5T sports an 18:9 display just like the other 2017 devices. Let’s have a quick look at the specification.
The OnePlus 5T comes with a 6-inch touchscreen display with a resolution of 1080×2160 pixels. It is powered by 2.45GHz octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 processor and it comes with 6GB of RAM. The phone packs 64GB of internal storage that cannot be expanded. As far as the cameras are concerned, the OnePlus 5T packs a 20-megapixel primary camera on the rear and a 16-megapixel front shooter for selfies. The device runs Android 7.1.1 and is powered by a 3300mAh non-removable battery.
After having a look at the specifications it is absolutely sure that its a flagship killer device. Most of the users are not happy since OnePlus 5T has been given the Nougat version Android, but no worries readers we are here with a solution. We have detailed and simple guide about on How to Root OnePlus 5T and with it you can play around with various Custom Rom’s, have different Android versions as you like and also you will be able to dig in your Android and have fun.
Basically, this guide contains the steps to root OnePlus 5T. First part is about How toUnlockk Bootloader of OnePlus 5T Second How to install TWRP Recovery on OnePlus 5T Third How to Root OnePlus 5T. We have also added How to take a Nandroid Backup on OnePlus 5T, How to take EFS backup of OnePlus 5T hope you like it so let’s start…
- Download Section
- Steps to Unlock Bootloader of OnePlus 5T
- Steps to Install TWRP Recovery on OnePlus 5T
- Steps to Root OnePlus 5T
- Points to remember before taking/restoring Nandroid backup
- How to Take a Nandroid backup on OnePlus 5T
- How to Restore a Nandroid backup on OnePlus 5T
- Points to remember before taking/restoring EFS backup
- How to Take EFS backup on OnePlus 5T
- How to Restore EFS backup on OnePlus 5T
- ADB and Fastboot Tools must be installed
- Enable USB Debugging and OEM Debugging Options
- Take a full backup of your data
- Your device must be charged up to 50-60%.
- Unofficial TWRP Recovery for OnePlus 5T – Rename the downloaded file to recovery.img and move this file to ADB and Fastboot Folder.
- Super Su
- Download Terminal Emulator app from play store
Steps to Unlock Bootloader of OnePlus 5T
Step 1: Power off.
Step 2: Boot your device fastboot mode by, holding the Volume Up + Power button simultaneously for 2-3sec.
Step 3: Now connect your device to PC via USB cable make sure that the connection is right.
Step 4: Now to go to ABD and Fastboot folder and Open command prompt here by,
Holding the Shift key + Right click and select Open Command Window here
Step 5: Now check your device is connected to PC by typing the command as
If it shows your serial number of your device then it connected or check the USB connection and try once again.
Step 6: To Unlock Bootloader of your device type the command as
fastboot oem unlock
Step 7: Check on your device, you will be warned about unlocking the bootloader, press the Volume Up button to highlight Yes and the Power button to select it.
Step 8: When your device gets power on/Reboots power off it again and boot into recovery mode. To do, press and Hold the Power and Volume Down buttons simultaneous for a few seconds.
Step 9: In the stock OnePlus recovery, wipe all user data and then power off your device again.
Steps to Install TWRP Recovery on OnePlus 5T
Step 1: Go to the ADB and fastboot folder and open command window here by
Holding Shift key + Right click and select Open Command prompt Window here
Step 2: Boot your into fastboot mode by, Power off your device hold the Volume Up + Power button simultaneously for 2-3sec.
Step 3: Once your device is in fastboot mode, flash the recovery.img by typing the command as
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
Step 4: Once the flashing is complete, don’t reboot your phone using any fastboot commands. Instead, manually disconnect your device and then boot into Recovery using the Power and Volume Down buttons.
Step 5: Your phone should boot into TWRP recovery this time.
Step 6: Swipe to allow modifications if asked.
Steps to Root OnePlus 5T
Step 1: The people who want to decrypt download the latest no-verity-opt-encrypt zip and transfer it to your phone along with SuperSU or Magisk. Then go to Wipe > Format Data and type Yes when asked if you want to mount internal storage. Those who wish their OnePlus 5 to remain encrypted can ignore this step.
Step 2: Download and transfer SuperSU or Magisk from the download section and transfer the files to your phone over the MTP connection.
Step 3: Boot your device into TWRP mode and select Install > Navigate and select the Super Su or Magisk that you transferred to your file > Click on Reboot.
Step 4: Your device will reboot and when it does, you should see the SuperSU or Magisk Manager app in your app drawer and check that you have proper root access.
Points to remember before taking/restoring Nandroid backup
- Nandroid backup is taking a full backup of your device which contains all the data as well as apps from the current build of the smartphone. This is needed when something goes wrong on your device and you need to restore your phone.
- Before taking a Nandroid backup, you have to compulsorily remove your lock screen password like Pin/Fingerprint/Pattern. Otherwise, you will have to forcefully factory reset your phone if you try to enter the pin on restoring the Nandroid backup as it will not accept the Password/Pin even if it is correct.
- In order to remove your device’s Lock screen security, head over to Settings –> Security –> Screen Lock and select the Swipe or None option.
How to Take a Nandroid backup on OnePlus 5T
- First of all, boot into TWRP recovery by turning off your device again and pressing and holding Power + Volume Down button until you see the TWRP logo on the screen.
- After that, go to Backup option inside TWRP recovery and select all the partitions including Data.
- Now, you have an option to rename the backup to your liking or else it will be named according to TWRP standards which includes the date and time of the backup.
- Just swipe to take backup inside the recovery and it will take 5-10 minutes for the process to complete and it may take more time if you have plenty of data.
- Once done, reboot to system and you will see that the backup is created inside the TWRP folder on your device’s SD card.
- Store this backup in a safe place so that you can restore this backup at any time if needed.
Congratulations! You have successfully taken a Nandroid backup of your OnePlus 5T.
How to Restore a Nandroid backup on OnePlus 5T
- To restore Nandroid backup, power off your device and boot into TWRP recovery once again by pressing and holding Power + Volume Down button combination at the same time.
- After that, go to Restore menu inside TWRP and you will see the backup that you have just created.
- Now, select the backup or any other backup of your choice and restore it by Swiping inside TWRP.
- Once restoration is completed, you will have to reboot to system and your phone will have exact settings before the backup took place.
Congratulations! You have successfully restored the Nanroid backup on your OnePlus 5T.
Points to remember before taking/restoring EFS backup
- EFS backup contains the backup of all the cellular data on the smartphone which includes the IMEI information of the SIM cards along with the operator data.
- It is also important to take the EFS backup same as the Nandroid backup to ensure that you do not lose cellular connectivity in case anything goes wrong while tinkering with your device
How to Take EFS backup on OnePlus 5T
- Now download the Terminal Emulator application on your device link in the download section.
- Once installed, open the application and enter the command below to gain root access on your smartphone
- If you are asked to grant root access from Magisk or SuperSU, grant the permission.
- After this, you have to enter following commands to take EFS backup:
dd if=/dev/block/sdf1 of=/sdcard/modemst1.bin bs=512
dd if=/dev/block/sdf2 of=/sdcard/modemst2.bin bs=512
- Now, you will find two files named as modemst1.bin and modemst2.bin in your smartphone’s internal storage which is the EFS backup of your OnePlus 5T.
Congratulations! You have successfully taken an EFS backup of your OnePlus 5T.
How to Restore EFS backup on OnePlus 5T
- In case, you manage to corrupt or wipe your EFS partition on the smartphone then you will need to restore the EFS backup which you should have taken from above.
- To do so, boot into bootloader/fastboot mode by turning off your device and press Power + Volume Up buttons simultaneous for 2-3 sec.
- In bootloader mode, you will have to connect your device via USB cable and open Command Prompt window on your PC.
- Now, check if your device is recognized by Fastboot by entering the command mentioned below:
- If you see the serial number of your device go ahead or make sure that the USB is working correctly.
- Enter the below commands to restore the EFS backup on your smartphone
fastboot flash modemst1 modemst1.bin
fastboot flash modemst2 modemst2.bin
- Once you have executed the commands, reboot your device and you will have the IMEI information on your device again.
Congratulations! You have successfully restored EFS backup on your OnePlus 5T.
Need help? Drop a comment below!