A detailed step by step guide on how to unlock the bootloader on Google Pixel 2 and Google Pixel 2 XL. The Google Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL are the best Google has to offer right now. About Google Pixel 2 it comes with a 5.00-inch touchscreen display with a resolution of 1080×1920 pixels and Google Pixel 2 XL comes with a 6.00-inch touchscreen display with a resolution of 1440×2880 pixels. Both the devices are powered by 1.9GHz octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 processor and it comes with 4GB of RAM. The Google Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL run on Android 8.0.0 out of the box. Pixel 2 is powered by a 2700mAh non-removable battery and Pixel 2 XL is powered by 3520mAh non-removable battery. In the camera department, both the Google Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL pack a 12.2-megapixel primary camera on the rear and an 8-megapixel front shooter for selfies.
If you have bought the Pixel 2 or Pixel 2 XL and have been anticipating on unlocking the bootloader of your device, we have just the right guide for you! Read ahead to know the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL Bootloader Unlocking steps.
Table of Contents
Some benefits of Unlocking Bootloader
- You can install Factory images which helps in various ways.
- You can also format, erase, and rewrite the current device partitions. So, if you want to restore stock firmware or flash existing partitions like recovery or boot (kernel), you will need to unlock the bootloader on Google Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL devices.
- If you are also keen on rooting and some super customization, then unlocking the bootloader will help you to do that with your device.
Recommended | Download Microsoft SMS App for All Android Devices
- Make a complete backup of your device:
- Enable Developer Options, USB Debugging and OEM Unlock:
- Make sure you have the latest USB Drivers installed on your PC. Get the latest USB Drivers from the below link:
- Download and Setup ADB and Fastboot on your PC:
Note: We are not responsible for any damage caused to your device.
Step to Unlock Bootloader of Google Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL
Step 1: Power off your device.
Step 2: Boot your device into Bootloader mode by,
Holding the Volume down + Power button simultaneously for 2-3sec.
Step 3: Now connect your device to PC via USB cable make sure that the connection is right and tight.
Step 4: Now open Command Prompt Window: Hold down Shift key + Right click > Select Open Command Window here
Step 5: Now check if your device will is connected or not by typing the following command
It will show you the serial number of the device. If it doesn’t show the serial number check the USB cable and try once again.
Step 6: Now, Unlock the Bootloader of Google Pixel 2 and Pixel XL by typing the command as
fastboot flashing unlock
Unlocking the Bootloader of Google Pixel 2 XL might require this command for unlocking some critical partitions.
fastboot flashing unlock_critical
Step 7: After hitting enter on PC you will see your device will ask the permission to Unlock Bootloader navigate on Yes option using the volume button and select it using the Power button.
Step 8: Let the process complete and done. Now reboot your device by typing the following command
Congratulations! You have successfully unlocked the Bootloader of Google Pixel 2 and 2 XL.