Download and Install LineageOS 15.1 for Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge and experience the goodness of Android Oreo on Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge.
Samsung Galaxy S7 and Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge are extremely popular devices. For a device which was released a year ago, they are running pretty well. The pair comes with a set of rock solid front and back camera and they ship with the Samsung’s Own Skin running on top Android. If the information we hear is to be believed, Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 Edge will not be receiving the official Android Oreo Update from Samsung. For devices which are just a year old, it’s a shame that the devices will not be updated to Android Oreo. But fret not, my fellow doirders for LineageOS 15.1 for Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 Edge is here. Read ahead to know more and download LineageOS 15.1 for Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 Edge.
Table of Contents
LineageOS 15.1 for Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 Edge
For those who are not in the know, LineageOS is a popular aftermarket Android custom ROM which supports a wide range of devices. Perhaps, the name ‘CyanogenMod’ might ring a bell. LineageOS is a spin-off of its ancestor CyanogenMod and it comes with all its goodness.
A very talented XDA Forum member who goes by the name Ivan_Melar has compiled the LineageOS 15.1 ROM for the Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 Edge thus bringing Android 8.1 Oreo for Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 Edge. Here are a few screenshots of the LineageOS 15.1 running on Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 Edge:
According to the developer, the ROM is pretty stable and can be used as a daily driver. But there are a couple of bugs though [heads up: nothing serious], which are:
- Device Only GPS Mode – Other modes such as Maps and everything work fine.
- Hardware acceleration while playing video. Software acceleration should be fine though.
With that out of the way, let us proceed with the installation of Android 8.1 Oreo-based Lineage OS 15.1 for Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 Edge.
- Make sure your device has at least 50% of charge so that it won’t die in the middle of the procedure.
- Make a complete backup of your device before proceeding: Guide to Backup Samsung Galaxy Devices.
- You must have a working TWRP Recovery in your Galaxy S7 or Galaxy S7 Edge.
Download LineageOS 15.1 ROM for Galaxy S7 [Edge]
The LineageOS for both Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 Edge are given below. Download the appropriate one for your device.
Note: Do not forget to download the GApps Zip File as well. It is mandatory for the process.
Guide to Install LineageOS 15.1 on Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 Edge
- Make sure you have downloaded both the ROM Zip file and GApps Zip File.
- Transfer both the files to your device.
- Reboot your Galaxy S7 or Galaxy S7 Edge to TWRP Recovery:
- Power down your device.
- Press and hold Volume Up + Home + Power button together.
- Once you are in TWRP: Tap on ‘Wipe’ > ‘Advanced Wipe’ and then select ‘System’, ‘Data’, ‘Cache’ and ‘Dalvik > ART Cache’ and ‘Swipe to Wipe’. Refer the screenshot below for any help:
- Once the Wipe is complete, go back to the TWRP home screen.
- Tap ‘Install’ and select the ROM Zip file which you have downloaded and swipe the button to install LineageOS 15.1 on Galaxy S7 [Edge]. The process is not over yet. Next, we need to flash the GApps Package.
- Once again, tap on ‘Install’ and select the GApps Zip file and Swipe the button at the bottom to flash the same.
- Once the above steps are done, reboot your device!
So that was the easiest way to install LineageOS 15.1 on Galaxy S7 [Edge] and you have successfully done it, congratulations! Reboot to Android Oreo on Galaxy S7 and enjoy all the all new features!
Need help? Drop a comment below!