According to several XDA Forum members, you can now unlock bootloader on Verizon Google Pixel 2. In this guide, we will tell you how to unlock bootloader on Verizon Google Pixel 2.
Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL are the latest and the greatest from the house of Google. Devices made by Google, be it Nexus or Pixel, have always been known to be developer friendly. Unlocking the bootloader, installing TWRP or rooting the devices have always been fairly straightforward and easy. So far, there has been no way to unlock bootloader on Verizon Pixel 2 which is strange because the regular Pixel 2 is a developer’s dream. But, a workaround has been found now. In this guide, you will learn how to unlock bootloader on Verizon Pixel 2.
Note: The method described below is only for Verizon Pixel 2 and not the Pixel 2 XL.
Table of Contents
Unlock Bootloader on Verizon Google Pixel 2
Devices that Verizon carry, or any carrier for that matter, have always known to be being not very developer friendly. Carriers just want to make sure that the devices are secure. Hence, they disable every possible way to install any third party mods on the device. Unlocking the bootloader is pretty much the key to start modding any device. If that is locked, then there isn’t much hope for any development.
In case of Verizon Pixel 2, the ‘OEM unlocking’ option, which enables the user to unlock bootloader has been disabled by the carrier. Here’s what the ‘OEM Unlocking’ in Verizon Pixel 2 looks like:
Thanks to XDA Member D3RP_, we now have a way to unlock bootloader on Verizon Google Pixel 2. This method has been tried and verified to be worked by several users, according to a report from XDA Portal.
- This procedure will completely wipe your device. Make a complete backup before proceeding: Guide to Backup Android Device Without Root
- Make sure you have ADB and Fastboot installed on your PC. Follow this guide: Download and Install Minimal ADB and Fastboot
- Make sure that your device has enough battery left to survive the procedure.
Steps to Unlock Bootloader on Verizon Google Pixel 2
Follow the below instruction to unlock bootloader on Verizon Google Pixel 2:
- Go to Settings > About Phone > Tap on ‘Build Number’ continously, till you see the text ‘You are now a developer’.
- Go back to Settings > Developer options > Enable ‘USB debugging’.
- Reboot Pixel 2 into Bootloader mode:
- Switch off your device.
- Press and hold the Volume Down + Power button together, until you see the bootloader screen.
- Connect your device to PC which it is still in bootloader mode.
- Open a command prompt window from inside the folder where ADB and Fastboot are installed. To do this: Hold down Shift Key + Right Click > Select ‘Open Command Window here‘ or ‘Open Power Shell Window here‘.
- In order to make sure that your device is properly connected via Fastboot mode, execute the below command in the command prompt:
The above command will list your device along with your device ID. This means that the device is properly configured and connected.
- Execute the below command in command prompt to unlock bootloader on Verizon Pixel 2:
fastboot flashing lock_critical
- Once you execute the above, you will be prompt for confirmation on your Verizon Pixel 2, as show in the image below:Select the ‘UNLOCK THE BOOTLOADER‘. Use Volume Keys to navigate and Power Key to confirm the selection.
- If the phone does not reboot itself, execute the below command to do it manually:
You have now successfully unlocked bootloader on your Verizon Pixel 2.
This is the easiest method to unlock bootloader on Verizon Pixel 2.
Need help? Drop a comment below!