Pixel 2 Active Edge is a neat addition to the flagship. But, it’s bad that Google did not give an option to remap Pixel 2 Active Edge Squeeze function. In this guide, we will tell you how to customize Pixel 2 XL Squeeze function to pretty much anything you wish for. Read ahead to know how to remap Pixel 2 Squeeze functionality.
The active edge functionality was first seen on the HTC U11. It turns out that Google was pretty impressed with the squeeze functionality, they decided to include this in their flagship offerings this year – the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL. The Squeeze functionality, named Active Edge, lets you squeeze the bottom edge of the Pixel 2 bezels to summon the Google Assistant. It is evident that Google is constantly looking for ways to get people to the Google’s Personal Assistant. In this article, we will guide you on how to remap Pixel 2 Active Edge functionality.
See Also | Best Magisk Modules for Pixel 2 [XL]
Remap Pixel 2 Active Edge Squeeze Function
Google decided to make it easier for the users to invoke Google Assistant. Google Assistant is a great feature. I use it all the time. My Galaxy Note 8 comes with Bixby with a dedicated button and all, but I still find myself using the Google Assistant all the time. It’s that good!
But you cannot simply force everyone to use an app just because the majority of the users find it useful. There should always be a way to enable or disable or customize every feature that comes preloaded on the device. We all know what happened to the infamous Bixby button. Samsung finally had to cave in.
Recommended | Download and Install Fonts for Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL
Thankfully, Google Assistant is a breeze to use and not many users will think of replacing it. But, if you are looking for a way to remap Pixel 2 Active Edge Squeeze, we have just the right guide for you. Read ahead to know how to customize Pixel 2 Active Edge functionality.
- Make a complete backup of your device before proceeding: Guide to Backup Android Device Without Root.
- Your Pixel 2 or Pixel 2 XL must be rooted with Magisk: How to Root Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL With Magisk.
- It is recommended to have TWRP installed. If you do, make a complete Nandroid backup of your device before proceeding.
Steps to Customize Pixel 2 Active Edge Squeeze Function
We are going to make use of a free app called ‘Edge Sense Plus‘ to customize the Pixel 2 Squeeze function. Follow the below steps carefully:
- Make sure you have read the ‘Prerequisites’ section above and have understood the requirements.
- Next, we need to install a Magisk Module before installing ‘Edge Sense Plus’ app. Both Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL have different Magisk Modules, so download the one appropriate for your device:
- You need to install the above Magisk Module Zip file on your Pixel 2 or Pixel 2 XL. For detailed instructions on how to install Magisk Module Zip, refer this guide: How to Install Magisk Module Zip File with Magisk Manager.
- Once you have installed the Magisk Modules, download the ‘Edge Sense App‘ from the Google Play Store:
The Edge Sense app is the complete package for customizing the Active Edge functionality. Below are a few screenshots of the app, which should give you an idea of how good the app is:
Open the app and start to customize your Pixel 2 Active Edge to your heart’s content!
Need help? Drop a comment below!
Cover Image Credits: SlashGear.com