It is always good to know how to flash stock ROM/firmware on your device; might come in handy when needed. In this guide, we will tell you how to install Stock Firmware on Xperia devices using Flashtool. There also detailed instructions on how to download Stock FTF Firmware File using Xperifirm tool.
One of the perks of owning an Android device is that you can root it and install custom ROMs and MODs in it. If your device has really good community development, then there will be a lot of good custom ROMs, Kernels and Mods available for your device. Even if active development is not available, you might still consider rooting in case you want to get rid of the bloatware or block ads and things like that. There are a lot of benefits in rooting Android device. On the other hands, there are a lot of drawbacks too. On rooted devices, you may not be able to use certain apps, your warranty becomes void and you won’t be able to install OTA updates. Thankfully, it is not that hard to go back to stock on Android devices.
If you own a Sony device and want to flash stock firmware on your Sony device, this guide is perfect for you. In this guide, we have laid out step by step instructions to install stock firmware on Sony devices using Flashtool.
Table of Contents
How to Install Stock Firmware on Sony Xperia using Flashtool
It is really important to always to how to flash stock firmware on your device if you are going to root/install custom ROM on your device. Fortunately, if you own a Sony Xperia device, the entire process is going to be easy as we have multiple tools to help you do this.
Now before proceeding with the steps to flash stock firmware on Sony Xperia using Flashtool, you might want to take care of a couple of things.
- Download XperiFirm Tool: This is needed to download FTF Firmware for your Sony Xperia devices.
- Download Xperia Flashtool: This is where the actual flashing happens.
Download and keep both the files ready.
Download Sony Stock Firmware Using XperiFirm
- Make sure you have the latest Sony USB Drivers installed.
- Make sure you have downloaded the latest Xperifirm tool. Unzip the downloaded file, if it is zipped.
- Double click on the XperiFirm.exe file inside the extracted folder to open the XperiFirm tool.
- Once the tool is open, you will see the complete list of supported devices on the left panel:
1. Select your device.
2. Then select the appropriate country/carrier model from the middle pane.
3. The available firmware will be displayed in the right pane. Click on the firmware number.
- Once you click on the firmware number, you will get a Firmware Details dialog box. Click on the Download Button.
- Once you click on the download button, the Sony Stock Firmware for your Xperia device will begin downloading.
- Once the downloading is completed, you will see an Unpacked Successfully message being displayed on the tool. Simply click OK.
Creating FTF File from Stock Firmware
- Make sure you have downloaded the latest Xperia Flashtool.
- If the download is zipped, extract the same. Open the Flashtool.
- Go to Tools > Bundles > Create.
- You will be asked to select a folder. Select the folder where you have downloaded the Sony Stock Firmware files from XperiFirm tool as source folder. After you select the source folder:
1. Double click on the Device field to select the appropriate device.
2. In the branding field, make sure you have the right name you want to be associated with your firmware.
3. Give the appropriate version number in the Version field.
- Right after the version number, you will see two sections. Click all the files in the left section and click on the Right Arrow to move them to the Firmware content section. Once all the files are moved, click on Create button.
- Be patient while Flashtool creates flashable FTF Sony Firmware for your Xperia device.
- Once the process completes, you can look for the FTF Files in this location:
Steps to Flash Stock Firmware using Xperia Flashtool
- Once you have everything mentioned above in place, open Flash tool and click on the Flash icon.
- In the following screen, select Fastboot and press Ok.
- Now, you will see a new window where all the firmware files present will be displayed in the left pane. Select the FTF file you created earlier.
- On the far right corner, you will see Wipe section. Select APPSLOG, CACHE, and DATA (all three). Then click on the Flash button at the bottom.
- A few moments after the above step, you will be asked to connect your Xperia device in Flashmode.
1. Turn off your device.
2. Connect one end of the USB cable to your phone.
3. Press and hold Volume Down Button.
4. Connect the other end of the USB cable to your computer while you are still holding Volume Down Button.Once you have successfully connected the device to PC in Flash mode, the LED will turn green on your phone.
- Follow the on-screen instructions given by the Flashtool, if any.
- Wait for the flashing process to complete.
The flashing process might take some time to complete, do not worry, this is normal. Even the first boot might take longer than usual. Patiently wait for your device to boot into stock firmware.
This is the easiest way to flash stock firmware on Xperia device using Flashtool and XperiFirm.
Need help? Drop a comment below!