Redmi Note 5 Pro TWRP (Whyred) Recovery is now available for download. With the TWRP for Redmi Note 5 Pro now being available, we can root Redmi Note 5 Pro. In this guide, we will tell you how to install TWRP on Redmi Note 5 Pro and how to Root Redmi Note 5 Pro.
Redmi Note 5 Pro was launched in February 2018. The phone sports a 5.99-inch touchscreen display with a resolution of 1080 pixels by 2160 pixels. The Redmi Note 5 Pro is powered by 1.8GHz octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 636 processor and it has 4GB of RAM. The phone comes with 64GB of internal storage which can be expanded up to 128GB via a microSD card. In the camera department, the Redmi Note 5 Pro packs a 12-megapixel primary camera on the rear and a 20-megapixel front shooter for selfies. The Redmi Note 5 Pro runs Android 7.1.1 out of the box and is powered by a 4000mAh non-removable battery. It measures 158.60 x 75.40 x 8.05 (height x width x thickness) and weighs 181.00 grams.
Installing TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro will help you install custom ROMs, Custom Kernels, and also enabled you to easily root your device. While there are many other ways by which you can root an Android device, using SuperSU to root Android is the best way till date. And for that TWRP is mandatory! Read ahead to know how to install TWRP on Redmi Note 5 Pro and then how to root Redmi Note 5 Pro using SuperSU.
Table of Contents
Root and Install TWRP On Redmi Note 5 Pro
TWRP is the go-to custom recovery for most of the Android enthusiasts right now. It is always advisable to have the latest TWRP installed on your device as the latest version comes with a lit of hotfixes and new features. But before you proceed to install TWRP Recovery on Redmi Note 5 Pro, you must first Unlock Bootloader on Redmi Note 5 Pro. You can follow the below guide for that:
You can download the latest Redmi Note 5 TWRP Recovery by clicking below:
Before proceeding with the tutorial to install TWRP Recovery on Redmi Note 5 Pro, here are a few advantages of TWRP Recovery:
- You can easily root your Android device if you have TWRP installed. Then it is just a matter of flashing latest SuperSU Zip file.
- You easily install any custom ROM you want. Custom ROMs provide more flexible customization options for Android devices.
- You can flash mods such as ViPER4Android and Dolby Atmos for Android on your device to take your Android experience to the next level.
- You can flash image files (.img) files using TWRP Recovery which something that Stock Recovery cannot do.
- You make full Nandroid Backup of your device including your Apps and their data, contacts, messages, call logs, settings.
- You can easily restore the Nandroid backup after installing a custom ROM. No need to install all the apps and their data again and again.
- You can easily wipe the entire data/system/cache/dalvik cache etc.
- You can flash device-specific Android MODs as wells as Xposed Modules on your Android.
- Installing TWRP recovery requires an unlocked bootloader. You can follow this guide: Guide to Unlock Bootloader of Redmi Note 5 Pro
- Installing TWRP is a pretty complex task. Make sure to take a complete backup of your device before proceeding. Guide: Guide to Backup Android Device Without Root
- Make sure you have enough charge left on your device. 60% is recommended.
- Download the latest SuperSU Zip file.
- Make sure you have latest ADB and Fastboot tool installed on your Mac/Windows/Linux.
Steps to Install TWRP on Redmi Note 5 Pro
- Before proceeding with the tutorial, you must enable Developer Options and USB Debugging on your Redmi Note 5 Pro.
- Download the TWRP Recovery in .img file format for your device from the link above. Rename that file to recovery.img.
- Now place the recovery.img file in the ADB and Fastboot folder.(On my PC the path is C:\Abd and Fastboot so I pasted it here).
- Connect your device to PC via USB cable.
- Open a command prompt window inside the ADB and Fastboot folder: Holding Shift key + Right Click > Select Open Command Window here
- Once the Command window is opened, type the following command to boot your device into Bootloader.
adb reboot bootloader
- Once your device is in Bootloader mode, install the recovery.img file by typing the command as follows
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- Now simply Reboot your device by typing the command as
Congratulations! You have successfully installed TWRP Recovery on Redmi Note 5 Pro. Now head to the next section to know how to root Redmi Note 5 Pro.
Steps to Root Redmi Note 5 Pro
- Make sure you have the latest SuperSU Zip file available on your device.
- Reboot your device into TWRP Recovery.
- Flash SuperSU Zip in TWRP: Once you are in TWRP –1. Tap on ‘Install’.
2. Browser and select the downloaded SuperSU Zip file.
3. ‘Swipe to confirm Flash’ to root Android using SuperSU zip file.
Once the installation completes, simply reboot your device. Once you reboot your device, you will find an app named SuperSU installed on your phone. This app lets you manage the Root Permissions on your device (Granting/revoking root permission to apps). You might need to update it. If you do, simply update it via Google Play Store.
Want to make sure your device is rooted?
Download a simple app called ‘Root checker’ from Google Play store by clicking below:
Once you open the above app, it will show the rooting status on your device. Now that you have successfully rooted your Redmi Note 5 Pro, go ahead any MOD or custom ROM you like! This is the easiest way to root Redmi Note 5 Pro and install TWRP on Redmi Note 5 Pro.
Need help? Drop a comment below!