When you are trying out custom ROMs and MOD, things tend to go wrong. If you have been looking for a way to unbrick Galaxy S9 and Flash stock firmware, we have got you covered. In this guide, we will tell you how to unbrick, unroot and flash stock firmware on Galaxy S9/S9+.
Samsung Galaxy S9 is the latest and greatest the South Korean Manufacturer has to offer as of now. Depending on the region in which it is released, it is either powered by Samsung’s own Exynos Processor or the latest Snapdragon 845 Processor. Samsung Galaxy S9 duo seems to be a minor upgrade to the last year’s flagship Galaxy devices. The Galaxy S9+ is really a Note 8 with AR Stocks and an arguably improved Camera hardware. The phones run on Android Oreo out of the box with Samsung Experience 9.0 on top. In this post, we will show you how you can completely restore your Samsung Galaxy S9 to stock firmware.
Table of Contents
Restore Galaxy S9 To Stock
There are many reasons why you might want to go back completely to stock. Some of them are:
- There is a new OTA update and you want to install it.
- The custom ROM you have is doing more harm than good.
- You may want to sell your device.
- Your device is bricked while trying out a custom ROM or MOD.
- You may just want to go back to stock, enough experimenting!
Download Samsung Galaxy S9 Stock Firmware
The first and foremost thing that you will be needing to restore your device to stock is the latest stock firmware. The latest stock firmware can be downloaded from the Samsung’s servers directly with the help of the SamFirm tool. The SamFirm tool lets you download the latest Samsung Stock Firmware TAR files. All you need is your device’s correct model number or the CSC code it belongs to. For example, product code or CSC code for India is INS, for Australia it is XSA and for US Carrier Verizon it is VZW. This might come in handy: List of Samsung Galaxy CSC Country Specific Product Codes And Regions.
Steps to Download Latest Galaxy Note 8 Stock Firmware
Method 1: Via the SamFirm Tool
Follow the below steps to download the latest Firmware for Galaxy Note 8:
- Download and extract the latest SamFirm tool and have it ready.
- Go to Settings > About Phone on your Galaxy Note 8 and make a note of your Galaxy Note 8’s model number.
- Find the CSC Code (Country Specific Code) for your device from this list.
- Input the model number and Region Code.
- Check the ‘Auto’ checkbox.
- Also, check the ‘Decrypt automatically’ checkbox on the right-hand side.
- Hit the check updates button.
- Once the details are shown, click on the Download button.
Method 2: From Third Party Websites
If you have trouble download through the SamFirm tool, you can opt to download from a number available third-party websites. Below are the options:
You can visit either of the above sites and simply search for the latest firmware for Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9+. If you need the proper CSC Code for your country/carrier, visit this article: List of Samsung Galaxy CSC Country Specific Product Codes And Regions.
Warning: Make sure to downloaded the appropriate firmware for your device model/carrier. Flashing the wrong firmware will brick your device.
- Stock Firmware Files which you can download from the section above.
- Download Latest Odin v3.13.1 [Recommended]. If you want to try out older Odin version, head here: Download Odin All Versions for Samsung Galaxy Devices.
- Download and Install Samsung USB Drivers.
- Download and Install ADB and Fastboot.
How to Flash Stock Firmware on Galaxy S9/S9+
- If your device is in bricked state, press and hold the Power button for a while to make sure it is completely switched off. [OR] If your Samsung Galaxy S9/s9+ is up and running, you will have to power-off the device. Wait for a few seconds to make sure it is completely switched off.
- Boot your Galaxy S9/S9+ into Download mode: How to Boot Galaxy S9 or S9+ into Download Mode.
- Download and extract the ODIN Tool zip. Run the ODIN.exe file as administrator. [Right click > Run as administrator].
- Connect your Galaxy Note 8 to your PC via USB Cable. You should see an ‘Added!‘ message in Odin.
- Extract the download Samsung Galaxy S9/S9+ Firmware files which you have downloaded above to get the TAR image files.
- Add the firmware files to Odin. If there is only one file, add it to AP. If there are multiple files, add to the appropriate sections in the Odin. Example: BL for BL, AP for AP, CP for CP, CSC for CSC [not HOME_CSC].
- Under Options section, make sure ONLY ‘Auto-Reboot‘ and ‘F Reset Time‘ are selected.
- After making sure everything is in place, hit the ‘Start‘ button.
Wait for the process to complete. Once the process completes, wait for the ‘PASS’ message to appear in the ODIN. refer the image below:
Congratulation, now your Galaxy S9/S9+ is back to stock! The first boot may take a while, do not panic. If you are stuck in boot loop, Boot Galaxy S9 Recovery > wipe data > Reboot > done! If you need any help, please do drop a comment below!