Moto Z Play Android 8.0 Oreo OTA Update is finally rolling out. The update will reach all the devices in a gradual manner. You can wait to receive the OTA update notification or follow the below guide to manually install Moto Z Play Android 8.0 Oreo OTA Update.
The Motorola has started rolling out the official Android 8.0 Oreo update for the Moto Z Play in India via the OTA route. Launched as version OPN27.76-12-22, the latest update comes with the latest Android security patch dated April 1, 2018, along with all the key Android 8.0 Oreo features and improvements in stability.
The manufacturers made sure that they have revealed the list of Moto devices that will get the Oreo updates as soon they made an official announcement of Android Oreo, According to which several variants of the Moto Z and Moto G series devices are in their list of receiving this latest update.
Moto Z Play which was released in earlier 2016 is now set to have an update over the OTA route and If you haven’t received an update notification on your Moto Z Play yet, please follow the instructions below to manually install Moto Z Play Android 8.0 Oreo update by sideloading the official OTA using the stock recovery.
Table of Contents
Guide to Manually Install Moto Z Play Android 8.0 Oreo OTA Update
It was said that the Motorola had begun there Oreo beta testing for there devices somewhere back in December and after there successful trial and errors, now the OEM has finally announced official Android 8.0 Oreo for Moto Z Play (XT-1635). The update is already making rounds in India with the file size of approximate 1.1GB with the label OPN27.76-12-22.
As the update is based on Android 8.0, it features all the Oreo goodies such as notification channels, advanced app permissions, aggressive doze mode, Picture-in-Picture, Autofill Framework and much more. So before you decide to install Moto Z Play Android 8.0 Oreo update on your device, please check for the update manually by going to Settings > About phone > System updates. Please keep in mind that the below instructions will only be successful on stock unrooted devices wherein An unlocked bootloader shall have no effect on sideloading the OTA.
- Make sure that you have the complete backup of your Moto device before proceeding.
- Make sure that your phone battery has at least 60% to avoid any shutdowns during the update process and If the battery is low, make sure you plug the phone into a power source.
- So, In order to sideload the OTA, your Moto Z Play (XT-1635) must be on the official NPNS26.118-22-2-12 build based on Android Nougat.
- Download and Install Android SDK tools on your PC.
- Use a spec-compliant USB Type-C to Type-A cable.
So when you have fulfilled the above requirements, you can continue with your Moto Z Play Android 8.0 Oreo Update.
Download Moto Z Play Android 8.0 Oreo OTA
Please note that the OTA Zip file can only be sideloaded on the Moto Z Play running Nougat firmware build (NPNS26.118-22-2-12). If you are not the mentioned build, do not proceed.
How to Install Moto Z Play Android 8.0 Oreo Update
1. First, Download Android 8.0 Oreo OTA for Moto Z Play.
2. Then Copy the downloaded ZIP to the folder where ADB and Fastboot binaries are present.
3. Now Hold the SHIFT key and Right-Click on the empty space inside the folder and Select ‘Open PowerShell window here’ or ‘Open Command Window here‘.
4. Switch off the Moto Z Play.
5. Then Hold the Volume Down and Power button to enter the Bootloader mode.
6. Now Select ‘Recovery Mode’ option.
7. When the Android bot appears, hold the Volume Up button and tap the Power button once. Now the device should be in stock recovery.
8. Select ‘Apply update from ADB’.
9. Now connect the device to your PC via USB Cable.
10. Finally, execute the below command in the command prompt to install Moto Z Play Android 8.0 Oreo OTA using:
adb sideload Blur_Version.27.1.28.addison.retail.en.US.zip
11. When the sideloading process finishes, select ‘Reboot system now’.
Now your phone should boot into the OS and update to Android Oreo, after which you can enjoy all cool new features from the new update. This is the easiest way to install Moto Z Play Android Oreo OTA Update.
Need help? Drop a comment below!