Redmi Note 5A TWRP (Whyred) Recovery is now available for download. With the TWRP for Redmi 5A now being available, we can root Redmi 5A. In this guide, we will tell you how to install TWRP on Redmi 5A and how to Root Redmi 5A with Magisk zip.
Redmi 5A was launched in October 2017. The phone sports a 5.00-inch touchscreen display with a resolution of 720 pixels by 1280 pixels at a PPI of 294 pixels per inch. The Redmi 5A is powered by 1.4GHz quad-core processor and it has 2GB of RAM. The phone comes with 16GB of internal storage which can be expanded up to 256GB via a microSD card. In the camera department, the Redmi 5A packs a 13-megapixel primary camera on the rear and a 5-megapixel front shooter for selfies. The Redmi 5A runs Android 7.1.2 out of the box and is powered by a 3000mAh non-removable battery. It measures 140.40 x 70.10 x 8.40 (height x width x thickness) and weighs 137.00 grams.
Installing TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Redmi 5A will help you install custom ROMs, Custom Kernels, and also enabled you to easily root your device. While there are many other ways by which you can root an Android device, using Magisk to root Android is the best way as of now. And for that TWRP is mandatory! Read ahead to know how to install TWRP on Redmi 5A and then how to root Redmi 5A using Magisk.
Table of Contents
Root and Install TWRP On Redmi 5A
TWRP is the go-to custom recovery for most of the Android enthusiasts right now. It is always advisable to have the latest TWRP installed on your device as the latest version comes with a lit of hotfixes and new features. But before you proceed to install TWRP Recovery on Redmi 5A, you must first Unlock Bootloader on Redmi 5A. You can follow the below guide for that:
You can download the Redmi 5A TWRP Recovery by clicking below:
Before proceeding with the tutorial to install TWRP Recovery on Redmi Note 5 Pro, here are a few advantages of TWRP Recovery:
- You can easily root your Android device if you have TWRP installed. Then it is just a matter of flashing the latest Magisk Zip file.
- You easily install any custom ROM you want. Custom ROMs provide more flexible customization options for Android devices.
- You can flash mods such as ViPER4Android and Dolby Atmos for Android on your device to take your Android experience to the next level.
- You can flash image files (.img) files using TWRP Recovery which something that Stock Recovery cannot do.
- You make full Nandroid Backup of your device including your Apps and their data, contacts, messages, call logs, settings.
- You can easily restore the Nandroid backup after installing a custom ROM. No need to install all the apps and their data again and again.
- You can easily wipe the entire data/system/cache/dalvik cache etc.
- You can flash device-specific Android MODs as wells as Xposed Modules on your Android.
- Installing TWRP recovery requires an unlocked bootloader. You can follow this guide: Guide to Unlock Bootloader of Redmi 5A
- Installing TWRP is a pretty complex task. Make sure to take a complete backup of your device before proceeding. Guide: Guide to Backup Android Device Without Root
- Make sure you have enough charge left on your device. 60% is recommended.
- Download the latest Magisk Zip file.
- Make sure you have latest ADB and Fastboot tool installed on your Mac/Windows/Linux.
Steps to Root on Redmi 5A
- Before proceeding with the tutorial, you must enable Developer Options and USB Debugging on your Redmi Note 5 Pro.
- Download the lazyflasher-no-verity-opt-encrypt.zip and copy it to your phone.
- In case if not done already, download the Magisk Zip file and copy it to your device.
- Download the TWRP Recovery in .img file format for your device from the link above. Rename that file to recovery.img.
- Now place the recovery.img file in the ADB and Fastboot folder. (On my PC the path is C:\Abd and Fastboot so I pasted it here).
- Connect your device to PC via USB cable.
- Open a command prompt window inside the ADB and Fastboot folder: Holding Shift key + Right Click > Select Open Command Window here
- Once the Command window is opened, type the following command to boot your device into Bootloader.
adb reboot bootloader
- Once your device is in Bootloader mode, install the recovery.img file by typing the command as follows
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- Next type in the following command and execute it:
fastboot boot recovery.img
- Now the device will boot into TWRP Recovery. Simply swipe right.
- Tap on Install > Select the lazyflasher-no-verity-opt-encrypt.zip which you have copied to your phone earlier and flash the same.
- After flashing it, reboot your device into system.
- Now, again reboot your device to TWRP Recovery. Tap on Install > Select the magisk zip which you have copied to your phone earlier and flash the same.
- Once the installation finished, reboot your device and look for an app called Magisk Manager. If it is not installed, download Magisk Manager APK and install it on your device.
This Magisk Manager Applets you manage the Root Permissions on your device (Granting/revoking root permission to apps). You might need to update it. Get the latest Magisk Manager APK.
Want to make sure your device is rooted?
Download a simple app called ‘Root checker’ from Google Play store by clicking below:
Once you open the above app, it will show the rooting status on your device. Now that you have successfully rooted your Redmi Note 5 Pro, go ahead any MOD or custom ROM you like! This is the easiest way to root Redmi Note 5 Pro and install TWRP on Redmi Note 5 Pro.
Need help? Drop a comment below!