Mi Mix 2S is the latest flagship from the Chinese manufacturers, If you are one of those lucky customers who has already got their hands on the latest flagship, we have an easy rooting guide for you. In this article, we will tell you how to root Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S and install TWRP Recovery on it.
Xiaomi launched the Mi MIX 2S smartphone in March 2018. The phone sports a 5.99-inch touchscreen display with a resolution of 1080 pixels by 2160 pixels at a PPI of 403 pixels per inch. The Xiaomi Mi MIX 2S is powered by 2.8GHz octa-core processor and it comes with 6GB of RAM. The phone comes with 64GB of internal storage which cannot be expanded. In the camera department, the Xiaomi Mi MIX 2S packs a 12-megapixel primary camera on the rear and a 5-megapixel front shooter for selfies. The Xiaomi Mi MIX 2S runs MIUI 9 out of the box and is powered by a 3400mAh non-removable battery. It measures 150.86 x 74.90 x 8.10 (height x width x thickness) and weighs 189.00 grams.
Installing TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S will help you install custom ROMs, Custom Kernels, and also enabled you to easily root your device. While there are many other ways by which you can root an Android device, using Magisk Zip to root Android is the best way, till date. And for that TWRP is mandatory! Read ahead to know how to install TWRP on Mi Mix 2S and then how to root Mi Mix 2S using SuperSU.
Table of Contents
Root and Install TWRP On Mi Mix 2S
TWRP is the go-to custom recovery for most of the Android enthusiasts right now. It is always advisable to have the latest TWRP installed on your device as the latest version comes with a lit of hotfixes and new features. But before you proceed to install TWRP Recovery on Mi Mix 2S, you must first Unlock Bootloader on Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S. You can follow the below guide for that:
Before proceeding with the tutorial to install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S, here are a few advantages of TWRP Recovery:
- You can easily root your Android device if you have TWRP installed. Then it is just a matter of flashing latest Magisk Zip file.
- You easily install any custom ROM you want. Custom ROMs provide more flexible customization options for Android devices.
- You can flash mods such as ViPER4Android and Dolby Atmos for Android on your device to take your Android experience to the next level.
- You can flash image files (.img) files using TWRP Recovery which something that Stock Recovery cannot do.
- You make full Nandroid Backup of your device including your Apps and their data, contacts, messages, call logs, settings.
- You can easily restore the Nandroid backup after installing a custom ROM. No need to install all the apps and their data again and again.
- You can easily wipe the entire data/system/cache/dalvik cache etc.
- You can flash device-specific Android MODs as wells as Xposed Modules on your Android.
- Installing TWRP recovery requires an unlocked bootloader. You can follow this guide: Guide to Unlock Bootloader of Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S
- Installing TWRP is a pretty complex task. Make sure to take a complete backup of your device before proceeding. Guide: Guide to Backup Android Device Without Root
- Make sure you have enough charge left on your device. 60% is recommended.
- Download the latest Magisk Zip file.
- Make sure you have latest ADB and Fastboot tool installed on your Mac/Windows/Linux.
Steps to Install TWRP Recovery on Mi Mix 2S
- Before proceeding with the tutorial, you must enable Developer Options and USB Debugging on your Mi Mix 2S.
- Download the TWRP Recovery from the downloads section above. Extract the zip file and you will get the TWRP Recovery in .img file format. Rename that file to recovery.img.
- Now place the recovery.img file in the ADB and Fastboot folder. (On my PC the path is C:\Abd and Fastboot so I pasted it here).
- Boot your Mi Mix 2S into Fastboot mode:
- Switch off Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S.
- Hold the Volume Down and Power button together to boot into Fastboot mode.
- Connect your device to PC via USB cable.
- Open a command prompt window inside the ADB and Fastboot folder: Holding Shift key + Right Click > Select Open Command Window here
- Once your device is in Bootloader mode, install the recovery.img file by typing the command as follows
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- DO NOT REBOOT YOUR DEVICE YET!
- Reboot your Mi Mix 2S into Recovery mode: Simply press and hold both the Volume Up and Power button at the same time until the phone powers off and boots into TWRP.
- Tap on Wipe > Format Data.
- Enter ‘Yes’ in the text field and press blue tick button at the bottom right corner.
- Now your device data will be formatted.
Steps to root Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S
- Make sure you have downloaded the latest Magisk Zip file.
- While still in TWRP Recovery mode: connect your device to your PC.
- Copy the Magisk Zip file to your PC (the way you normally copy files to your device).
- Once the file is copied: In the TWRP main screen – Tap on Install and select the Magisk Zip file.
- Finally, Swipe to confirm flash to flash Magisk Zip on your Mi Mix 2S.
- Once the flashing completes, reboot your device.
Want to make sure your device is rooted?
Download a simple app called ‘Root checker’ from Google Play store by clicking below:
Once you open the above app, it will show the rooting status on your device. Now that you have successfully rooted your Mi Mix 2S, go ahead any MOD or custom ROM you like! This is the easiest way to root Mi Mix 2S and install TWRP on Mi Mix 2S.
Need help? Drop a comment below!