Huawei announced its first flagship on 2018 in the form of the P20 Pro back in March 2018 and surprisingly took the world by storm. The Huawei P20 Pro boosted the world’s first triple camera setup in the form of a 40 MP (f/1.8, 27mm, 1/1.7″/OIS) primary RGB sensor, 20 MP (f/1.6, 27mm, 1/2.7″) monochrome sensor and an 8 MP (f/2.4, 80mm, 1/4″) telephoto lens. All the lenses are Leica branded and are aided by PDAF & laser autofocus and an LED flash. The 8 MP sensor has the capability to zoom in 3X times optically and with the help of AI, one can get 5X zoom digitally without any significant loss in details.
To be honest, my first impression on the triple camera setup in the Huawei P20 Pro was that it is a marketing gimmick and nothing much. But I was wrong. I was surprised when DxOMark rated it as the best cameras on any smartphone till now and gave a score of 109. Although I do not believe DxOMark reviews as the final benchmark, it got my attention. Last month, I was able to get my hands on this device and to my astonishment, it captures some of the finest photographs that can be captured by any smartphone. During my time with the phone, I realized that there is more to do than just the hardware. The camera app on Huawei P20 Pro gambles nicely in fine-tuning the photographs and at the same time provides a smooth and flexible user interface.
XDA Senior Member LastStandingDroid was able to get his hands on a leaked firmware from the Huawei P20 Pro and managed to pull out the stock Huawei P20 Pro camera app. Now, you can actually get the stock camera application from Huawei P20 Pro working on your Huawei or Honor device.
- An Honor or Huawei device running EMUI 8.0+ based on Android Oreo 8.0+.
- Your device should be powered by the HiSilicon Kirin 970, Kirin 960 or Kirin 659. There is no guarantee that it will work properly with any other processor.
- Your device must be rooted.
- You must have Magisk Manager installed on your phone. To download Magisk Manager, click on the linking appearing below:
If your device fulfills the above-mentioned requirements, continue reading.
Steps To Install Huawei P20 Pro Camera APK
- Download the Huawei P20 Pro Camera magisk module zip from the link provided below.
- Open Magisk Manager from your device’s app drawer.
- Open the side menu by tapping on the three bar icon from the top left corner of your phone and tap on modules.
- Tap on the “+” button.
- Now, navigate to the Huawei P20 Pro ZIP file downloaded magisk module zip file (Huawei-P20-Pro-Camera.zip). Tap on it for the installation process to begin. Most probably it will be stored in “Downloads” folder of your device’s internal storage if you did not change the download location manually.
- Once the installation process is finished, reboot your device. After rebooting, open your default camera app.
Congratulations! you just managed to install Huawei P20 Pro’s camera app on your device.
Note: You may not be able to use all the features of the camera app due to hardware restrictions of your device. For eg: you cannot get 3x optical zoom because your device does not have a 3x zoom telephoto lens. Similarly, if your device does not have a monochrome sensor, you will not be able to capture monochrome shots and if your device does not run on Kirin 970 SoC, you might not be able to use the slo-mo option. Do not expect any miracle to happen if you install the app on any low-end Honor or Huawei device.
You can now install and try out your favorite root apps or you can even try out some of the awesome Magisk Modules. Let us know about your experience during and after installing Huawei P20 Pro’s camera app on your Huawei or Honor device.
Need help? Got more tips? Do let us know in the comments below!