This year late May, Xiaomi released their 8th-anniversary edition flagship phones in China. The series has 3 devices- the standard Mi 8, the lightweight Mi 8 SE and the premium Mi 8 Explorer Edition. The standard Mi 8 sports in a 6.21-inch Full HD+ (2248×1080) AMOLED display with 600 nits brightness and support for HDR10 content and covers the DCI-P3 color gamut. It is powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 SoC clocked at 2.8 GHz and it comes with 6 GB of RAM and 64GB/128GB/256GB of internal storage. In the camera department, the Xiaomi Mi 8 packs a 12-megapixel (f/1.8) primary and a 12 megapixel (f/2.4) telephoto lens on the rear and a 20-megapixel (f/1.8) front shooter for selfies. It runs on MIUI 9 based on Android Oreo 8.1 out of the box and is juiced by a 3400mAh which supports Quick Charge 4.0+. It also features the world’s first dual-frequency GPS system on a smartphone.
Installing TWRP Recovery on your Xiaomi Mi 8 will help you install custom ROMs, Custom Kernels, and also enabled you to easily root your device. While there are many other ways by which you can root an Android device, using Magisk to root Android is the best way as of now. And for that TWRP is mandatory! Read ahead to know how to install TWRP on the Xiaomi Mi 8 and then how to root it using Magisk.
- Your Xiaomi Mi 8’s Bootloader must be unlocked. Guide: Guide to Unlock Bootloader of Xiaomi Devices [Official].
- Installing TWRP is a pretty complex task. Make sure to take a complete backup of your device before proceeding. Guide: Guide to Backup Android Device Without Root
- Make sure you have enough charge left on your device. A minimum of 60% is recommended.
- Make sure you have latest ADB and Fastboot tool installed on your Mac/Windows/Linux. Windows users will need to install the latest Xiaomi USB Drivers.
- Enable USB Debugging in Developer Options.
Download these files before moving onto the step by step guide.
Place the TWRP image file inside your PC’s ADB folder and store Magisk in your phone’s external memory.
Steps To Root Xiaomi Mi 8 And Install TWRP
- Download the TWRP recovery file and rename it to ‘recovery.img’.
- Move it to the folder where ADB and fastboot are installed on your device.
- Connect your Mi 8 to your PC via a USB cable and run the ADB command line interface.
- Reboot your device into fastboot mode by typing the following command in your ADB command line interface:
adb reboot bootloader
- Next type the following command:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- Now, power off your device and reboot it into the recovery mode by pressing the Volume Up and Power button simultaneously.
- Swipe on the required space on your screen to allow modifications.
- On the main screen of TWRP, select Install and then select Disable_Dm-Verity_FEC_v1.1.zip. Swipe at the bottom part of the screen to flash the zip file.
- Go back to the main menu, select Install and then navigate to the location where you have stored the magisk file and flash it.
- When the flashing completes successfully, normally reboot your device.
Once the installation finished, reboot your device and look for an app called Magisk Manager. If it is not installed, download Magisk Manager APK and install it on your device.
Recommended: Best Magisk Modules for Android 
Congratulations! You just successfully rooted your Xiaomi Mi 8 and installed TWRP.
This is the easiest way to root and install TWRP on Xiaomi Mi 8. I hope this article works the way it is intended to be. Let us know about your experience trying out the methods mentioned in this article in the comments section down below. In case I missed mentioning anything or if there is some topic which you want me to cover, please let me know in the comments section down below.
Got more tips? Need help? Drop a comment below!