In January this year, Samsung announced the Galaxy J2 Pro (2018), an entry-level smartphone, in India and some other markets. The phone sports a 5 inch AMOLED display with a resolution of 960 by 540 pixels which is very low according to today’s standards. It is powered by an entry-level quadcore Speedtrum SoC clocked at 1.4 GHz and it comes with 1.5 GB of RAM. Internal storage is at 16 GB which can be further expanded up to 256 GB via a micro SD card. In the camera department, the Galaxy J2 Pro 2018 packs an 8 megapixel lens with autofocus on the rear and a 5 megapixel front shooter with fixed focus for selfies. It runs on Samsung Experience based on Android and is juiced by the 2600 mAh battery.
Installing TWRP Recovery on Samsung Galaxy J2 Pro 2018 will help you install custom ROMs, Custom Kernels, and also enabled you to easily root your device. While there are many other ways by which you can root an Android device, using Magisk to root Android is the best way as of now. And for that TWRP is mandatory! Read ahead to know how to install TWRP on the Galaxy J2 Pro 2018 and then how to root it using Magisk.
Table of Contents
- Your Galaxy J2 Pro’s Bootloader must be unlocked.
- Installing TWRP is a pretty complex task. Make sure to take a complete backup of your device before proceeding. Guide: Guide to Backup Android Device Without Root
- Make sure you have enough charge left on your device. A minimum of 70% is recommended.
- Make sure you have latest ADB and Fastboot tool installed on your Mac/Windows/Linux.
- Enable USB Debugging in Developer Options.
Download these files before moving onto the step by step guide.
The 3rd and 4th files need to be downloaded and transferred to an external storage that you can connect to your phone.
Steps To Root Samsung Galaxy J2 Pro 2018 And Install TWRP
- Power off your Galaxy Note 9 and connect it to your PC using the USB cable.
- Now, boot into the download mode by pressing the volume down, Power Button and Home Button simultaneously
- Download and extract Odin tool Zip file and run Odin Exe file on your computer.
- Once Odin.exe is opened, head over to the Options tab and disable Auto Reboot.
- Click on the AP button and select the TWRP file that you downloaded before proceeding into the steps. If not downloaded, go back to the downloads section and perform this step.
- Once selected, click on Start. This will flash TWRP on your Galaxy J2 Pro 2018.
- Once TWRP has been successfully installed on your device, disconnect your device from the PC and press the Volume down and Power button simultaneously until the screen goes blank. Now, immediately press the Volume Up + Power + Home button to boot into the TWRP recovery mode.
- Now, swipe at the button of your display to allow modifications.
- Select Wipe and then select Format Data and finally type yes to factory reset your device.
- Once the factory reset is completed, from the menu, select Reboot and then Recovery.
- After the reboot is completed, select Install and navigate to the location where you have stored the Magisk zip file and select it.
- Swipe at the bottom of your display to flash it. Select Magisk from the different rooting method choices and then select the OEM Patch.
- When the flashing completes successfully, flash the no-verity-no-encrypt-5.1 file similarly and normally reboot your device.
Once the installation finished, reboot your device and look for an app called Magisk Manager. If it is not installed, download Magisk Manager APK and install it on your device.
Recommended: Best Magisk Modules for Android 
Congratulations! You just successfully rooted your Samsung Galaxy J2 Pro 2018 And installed TWRP.
This is the easiest way to root and install TWRP on Samsung Galaxy J2 Pro 2018. I hope this article works the way it is intended to be. Let us know about your experience trying out the methods mentioned in this article in the comments section down below. In case I missed mentioning anything or if there is some topic which you want me to cover, please let me know in the comments section down below.
Got more tips? Need help? Drop a comment below!