Instagram is getting bigger with every passing second and here are some nice tips and tricks to make master your Instagram stories in style.
Instagram is one of the most popular photos and video-sharing social networking service on the web. It was developed by Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger and was launched in 2010 as an iOS app. It later appeared on the Google Play store in 2012. It is currently owned by Facebook Inc. After its launch in 2010, Instagram rapidly gained popularity, with one million registered users in two months, 10 million in a year, and 800 million as of September 2017. It is a great platform to showcase your photography skills, promoting your brand, run your business online, for content creators, influencers and similar.
Instagram has a huge team of developers who keep on adding new features with time. The Instagram of today is feature rich as compared to one five years ago. Instagram Stories is one such feature that paved its way as an incremental update in 2016. If you are new to Instagram or somehow unaware of Instagram stories, it allows users to take photos, add effects and layers, and add them to their Instagram story. Stories expire after a duration of 24 hours. Stories would not appear on your Instagram feed. It shares a lot of similarities with Snapchat Stories which was introduced 3 years prior to the introduction of stories on Instagram. Though quite similar to Snapchat’s iteration, Instagram Stories have twice the daily active users as compared to Snapchat.
So without any further ado, let us get started with the tips and tricks.
Instagram Stories Tips And Tricks
Avoid Undesired Cropping Of Photos Or Videos
Instagram has been pushing the 18:9 form factor wherever it can and Stories are no exception. Though the taller aspect ratio is currently in trend in the smartphone industry, it is quite uncomfortable for media consumption in portrait orientation. Same goes for Insta stories as well. Instagram has the tendency of cropping your photos or videos so that it can mimic the taller aspect ratio. However, you can manually resize your content so that the most important subjects don’t get cropped out. Follow these steps to avoid undesired cropping:
- Open the picture or video from your phone’s gallery which you want to add to Insta stories.
- Tap on the share button from your gallery and select “Stories” with the Instagram logo. Now, you will be redirected to the Instagram Story interface with your photo or video that you choose.
- Now, pinch in your content till your entire photo or video gets into the frame.
Add More Colours To Your Instagram Stories
There is no doubt that the best way to attract someone’s attention is to make things colorful. By default, Instagram provides a palette with a handful of shades. You might not know but you can add colors to your text that are not available on the palette. Here is how you can do it.
- Tap on the pen icon or the “Aa” icon from the story interface. You can find those from the upper right corner of your screen.
- Now, you will be able to see the color palette towards the lower end of your screen. Tap and hold on any color for sometime till the custom color slider appears.
- Choose your desired hue from the color slider which consists of almost all the hues that are practically possible.
Give Your Texts The Rainbow Effect.
Most of us use the same color for the entire text on our Instagram stories. Same colors may not be as attractive as to those multicolored texts. You must be good with finger gymnastics to get the rainbow effect with your texts. There is no rocket science behind it. Follow these steps to get it done.
- In the story interface, tap on the “Aa” icon and type some text according to your liking.
- Once done with the typing job, tap and hold on the color palette until the color slider appears.
- Now, drag one finger along the gradient while dragging another finger along the text at the same time.
This takes a couple of trials to master it and is worth the time. Once you master it, the result will be beautiful, colorful letters making your stories stand out.
Create A Drop Shadow Effect On Your Text
Dropping a shadow of your texts can add a cool visual appeal to your Instagram story. It is better to add a drop shadow effect than trying out the different fonts available on Instagram as it adds dimension and depth to your texts. To add a drop shadow effect to your texts in Insta stories, follow these steps:
- Tap the “Aa” icon from the story interface and type your caption.
- Now, repeat the same things you did in the 1st step. With this I mean write the caption again in the same font but in a different color.
- Next, you need to arrange both the texts in such a manner that it looks like it’s casting a shadow. Place one layer on top of the other in a slightly off-centered manner.
Create Ombre Texts
Ombre Text is one which has colors or tones that shade into each other; used especially of fabrics in which the color is graduated from light to dark. This can add a unique visual effect to your texts in Insta stories. Follow these steps to try Ombre Texts effect on your Insta stories.
- Tap the “Aa” icon from the story interface and type your caption.
- Select a color for the text.
- Select your entire text then, press and hold a color so the extended color palette is revealed. Unselect one letter of your text and move your finger up or down to a lighter or darker hue of the same color.
- Repeat this procedure till every character is covered.
Play With The Audio Of The Videos
Instagram allows us to add short videos in addition to pictures to be kept as Stories. Sometimes, we might have a great video but its audio is disturbing or has some absurd background noise which can ruin the entire essence of your story. In that case, you can use InShot to spice up your video. All you have to do is to install this application on your device and open your video using this app. Now, you can add music or lower the background noise or remove it. It has a got a good collection of background music or soundtracks that will do the job. The interface is quite easy to use as well. Once done, you can save the video and add it to your Instagram Stories.
Speed Up Your Videos
Instagram allows videos less than 15 seconds to be a part of the Stories. Sometimes you might have shot a great clip but due to time limit restrictions, you are not able to upload it. In such a scenario, I would recommend you to use Microsoft’s HyperLapse app. The interface is very easy to use and all that you have to do is to import your clip to the app and set the speed and it will do its job. Additionally, it is capable of stabilizing your videos as well though not perfect as the Electronic Image Stabilisation algorithms found on many cameras.
These are few nifty tips and tricks to Master Your Instagram Stories and amaze your audience. I hope this article works the way it is intended to be. Let us know about your experience trying out the methods mentioned in this article in the comments section down below. In case I missed mentioning anything or if there is some topic which you want me to cover, please let me know in the comments section down below.
Got more tips? Need help? Drop a comment below!