In this guide, we will tell you how you can safely root Honor Play and Install TWRP Recovery on it. Steps to unlock bootloader are also included.
Huawei’s subsidiary Honor launched the Honor Play in August 2018. The phone sports a 6.3 inch Full HD+ IPS LCD display. It is powered by the in-house HiSilicon Kirin 970 SoC clocked at 2.4 GHz with Mali G72 MP12 GPU handling graphics duty. It comes with 4 or 6 GB of RAM. Internal storage is at 64 GB which can be further expanded up to 256 GB via a micro SD card. In the camera department, the Honor Play packs a 16-megapixel sensor with an f/2.2 lens as the primary camera and a 2-megapixel sensor with an f/2.4 lens for depth sensing on the rear and a 16 megapixel (f/2.0) front shooter for selfies. It runs on EMUI 8.2 based on Android Oreo 8.1 and is juiced by a 3750 mAh battery which supports fast charging. It also features the GPU Turbo technology which is intended to help in improving the GPU performance without hampering the battery life.
Installing TWRP Recovery on Honor Play will help you install custom ROMs, Custom Kernels, and also enabled you to easily root your device. While there are many other ways by which you can root an Android device, using Magisk to root Android is the best way as of now. And for that TWRP is mandatory! Read ahead to know how to install TWRP on the Honor Play and then how to root it using Magisk.
- Installing TWRP is a pretty complex task. Make sure to take a complete backup of your device before proceeding. Guide: Guide to Backup Android Device Without Root
- Make sure you have enough charge left on your device. A minimum of 60% is recommended.
- Make sure you have latest ADB and Fastboot tool installed on your Mac/Windows/Linux.
- Enable USB Debugging in Developer Options.
Steps To Unlock The Bootloader Of Honor Play
Huawei has stopped providing bootloader unlock codes for their devices. Therefore, the bootloader of the Honor Play cannot be unlocked in an official way. But, there are some third party services that are providing bootloader unlock codes for Huawei and Honor devices at a price. I cannot guarantee that this will help you unlock the bootloader but several people actually got their bootloader unlocked successfully that way and it seems to be the only option available at the moment. Here is some popular bootloader unlock services for Huawei and Honor:
Once you got the code to unlock the bootloader for your device, follow these steps to unlock the bootloader of your Honor Play.
- Navigate to the folder where you have the adb and fastboot tools installed and open a command prompt window there.
- Connect your phone with your PC via a USB cable and enable Transfer Files option in your phone.
- Once connected, type the following command in the command window and this command should return your device’s serial number. If your device’s serial number does not appear, the connection between your PC and Phone is broken.
- If your phone’s serial number appears, type the following command to boot your device into fastboot mode.
adb reboot bootloader
- Now, type the following command to unlock your device’s bootloader.
fastboot oem unlock ****
Replace **** with the bootloader unlock code that you purchased before proceeding to the steps
- Type the following command to boot your device normally.
Download these files before moving onto the step by step guide.
Download and transfer the 1st file to the location where ADB tools are installed on your PC while transferring the 2nd file to a location in the external SD card.
Steps To Install TWRP and Root Your Honor Play
- Make sure that your device is connected with your PC.
- Open a command window in the ADB folder like before and type the following command to flash the TWRP image to your device.
fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk /path/to/twrp.img
(Replace twrp.img with the name of the TWRP image that you downloaded from the downloads section and stored in the ADB folder.)
- Once the TWRP recovery is flashed to your device, power off your device and reboot it into the recovery mode by pressing the Volume Up and Power button simultaneously.
- In the TWRP recovery screen, swipe on the required space on your screen to allow modifications.
- On the main screen of TWRP, select Install and then navigate to the location where you have stored the Magisk zip file which you downloaded from the downloads section. Swipe at the bottom part of the screen to flash the zip file.
- When the flashing completes successfully, normally reboot your device.
Once the installation finished, reboot your device and look for an app called Magisk Manager. If it is not installed, download Magisk Manager APK and install it on your device.
Recommended: Best Magisk Modules for Android 
Congratulations! You just successfully installed TWRP and rooted your Honor Play using Magisk.
This is the easiest way to install TWRP and root your Honor Play. I hope this article works the way it is intended to be. Let us know about your experience trying out the methods mentioned in this article in the comments section down below. In case I missed mentioning anything or if there is some topic which you want me to cover, please let me know in the comments section down below.
Got more tips? Need help? Drop a comment below!