It is 2019 and augmented reality (AR) is getting more and more popular. The augmented reality in 2019 is quite different from what it was 5 years ago where it was limited to video games and military applications. Thanks to powerful processors and other hardware peripherals, most of our flagship phones are capable of carrying out Augmented Reality related tasks. Two years ago, Pokemon Go, a game for mobile phones based on popular cartoon series- Pokemon, used Augmented Reality became way too popular. If you do not know what Augmented Reality is, it is a technology that uses the existing environment and overlays new information on the top of it unlike virtual reality, which creates a totally artificial environment.
These days, every smartphone manufacturer is trying its hand in the field of AR. Apple calls its AR project as ARKit while Google calls it Google’s Playground. Google has even built an AR Core software development kit (SDK) that allows for augmented reality applications to be built. ARCore uses three key technologies to integrate virtual content with the real world as seen through your phone’s camera:
- Motion tracking allows the phone to understand and track its position relative to the world.
- Environmental understanding allows the phone to detect the size and location of flat horizontal surfaces like the ground or a coffee table.
- Light estimation allows the phone to estimate the environment’s current lighting conditions.
Some years ago, Asus came up with a phone with hardware and software specially built to support AR technology. Samsung has even announced it will be using AR technology in its future projects.
Table of Contents
AR Effects for Huawei Honor Device
Now, if you are using any Huawei or Honor phone that runs EMUI 8.x+, you might have seen the AR Lens feature in your default camera app. It is feature developed by Huawei in collaboration with Pitu to create certain AR Effects but it is not as powerful as the ones developed by Apple and Google. The reason behind the less clustered AR technology of Huawei is the underpowered software which does not use the capable hardware of the phones.
Hence, XDA Senior Member Pretoriano80 has recently released a Magisk Module that brings AR Lens features to the EMUI 9 Huawei camera application. According to the developer, it has been tested with the Huawei Mate 10 Pro and can also run on other Huawei phones with the Kirin 9xx series chipsets released with and after Kirin 970 and should be running EMUI 9 based on Android 9 Pie.
Recommended: How To Update Your Huawei/Honor Phone to EMUI 9?
To get this feature on your phone, your phone must have Magisk installed. For more information regarding Magisk and how to install it, I recommend you to go through the following article:
Make sure to download the necessary files from the below section.
Steps to Install AR Camera Effects on Your Huawei Honor Phone
- Make sure you have the Magisk Module Zip file which you want to flash on your phone.
- Open the Magisk Manager App.
- Tap on the Menu icon in the top left corner.
- Tap on ‘Modules‘.
- Tap on the Big Yellow Plus ‘+‘ button at the bottom.
- You will be asked to select the Magisk Module zip file. Browse and select the same.
- After you select the zip file, press ‘Install’ if you are asked, to flash Magisk Module via Magisk Manager App.
- The above step will flash the Magisk module. Once the flashing process completes, tap on ‘REBOOT‘ at the bottom of the screen for the changes to take effect.
Be sure to check out the official XDA Forum Thread, for further assistance or support and latest updates. In case if you run into any trouble, there are some neat escape routes mentioned there – do check out!
This is the easiest ways to enable AR effects on your Huawei/Honor phone. I hope this article works the way it is intended to be. Let us know about your experience trying out the methods mentioned in this article in the comments section down below. In case I missed to mention anything or if there is some topic which you want me to cover, please let me know in the comments section down below.
Got more tips? Need help? Drop a comment below!