Android has evolved a lot in the past few years and so has all the technology. While all these new technologies are very exciting, they also bring some very big privacy concerns.
In recent years, Android had received quite a lot of criticism when it comes to privacy. And the criticism has grown multi-fold in the past couple of years. From malware making their way to the Play Store to Android apps misusing the app permissions, there is no end for controversy in the Android universe last year.
With all that said, one cannot be too careful in protecting their data nowadays. Even though we have instant messaging apps such as WhatsApp and Messenger, a lot of people still use text messaging. And some really private information such as OTP and Messages from the bank come straight to our text message inbox.
Even though we have a secure lock screen on all Android devices, we may want to put an extra layer of security for specific personal data such as text messages.
If you are looking for a way to protect and hide text messages on Android, then we have got you covered.
With the below methods, you would be able to:
- Lock text messages with a passcode.
- Stop showing text message content in the lock screen.
- Hide SMS/text messages from a specific person alone.
How to Hide SMS on Android?
While there are several ways available, not all of them are reliable. In the two methods mentioned below, we will discuss how to hide text messages on Android efficiently.
Method 1. Using a Third Party SMS App
When I began our research to write this topic, I tried looking for apps for this specific purpose on the Google Play Store. And as always, there were a million apps available to hide text messages on Android. But most of the apps were very bloated with features that no one wants from a text messaging app.
Enter Pulse. Pulse is a very simple yet beautifully designed text messaging app. There are no annoying ads or unwanted features. The UI is very intuitive and clean. All the options that come bundled with the app are clearly organized.
With Pulse, you would be able to completely hide text messages from a particular person with a passcode or fingerprint.
Follow the below guide to know how you can hide SMS from a specific contact on your Android by using Pulse.
- Download Pulse from Google Play Store.Price: Free+
- Open Pulse SMS app on your Android.
- Make it the default SMS app if you are prompted to. Some newer Android versions prompt this permission.
- Open the conversation of the particular person that you want to hide.
- Tap on the top right corner and select Conversation Settings.
- Scroll down till you see find Private Conversation under the Advanced section and enable the same.
- If you are prompted set a passcode, do it.
- Then to access the Private Conversation, go to home screen of the app > Tap on Menu > Choose Private Conversations.
Whenever you receive a text message from this particular contact, the message or contact name will not be displayed. You will get a notification as in the below image:
Cool, Ain’t it?
Method 2. Using a Third App Locker
This is the second easiest and recommended way to hide messages on your Android device. By using this method, you would be able to completely lock down the messages app on your Android device.
For this purpose, we are going to make use of an app called ‘AppLock’ from the Google Play Store.
Once the app is downloaded, follow the below instructions to lock your messages app:
- Open AppLock.
- Make sure you are in the App Lock screen and tap on the PLUS button at the bottom of the screen.
- Search for your messaging app and tap on it and again tap on the PLUS button at the bottom of the screen.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to grant the necessary permissions.
Now, every time someone tries to access the messaging app, they will get a password screen like below:
Privacy and Security of our personal data are very important in today’s day and age. With increases changes of hacking and spying, we should take at most precaution while handling our data. Given the fact that we store almost all of our personal data on our mobile devices, the need for data privacy is higher than ever.
All it takes is one rogue app to gain access to your personal data to make things worse. By using the above methods, you should be able to safeguard your data from prying eyes. Physical security of data is as much important as online security.
Do let us know how you take care of your data on your smartphone. Also, let us know if you any other way to hide SMS on Android devices. 🙂