The most hated thing about the Samsung device after TouchWiz is the infamous Bixby and the Bixby button. One fine day, Samsung woke up and decided to make a competitor for the Google Assistant. Almost everyone else is doing it. So, why not? No complaints there. All the complaints are about how bad Bixby is and how hard Samsung is pushing it down their users’ throats.
Not until a few days ago, there was no official way to remap the Bixby button to other things. But it seems like Samsung has finally listened to all our prayers. Yes, it now allows remapping the Bixby button to things other than Bixby. But there is a catch.
In this article, we will guide you on how you can easily remap Bixby button to Google Assistant. There are two ways to do it and both of them are explained below.
Remap Bixby Button to Open Google Assistant
Get a load of this: While it is true that you can now remap Google Bixby button to other things, you CANNOT remap it to open Google Assistant. But… why though?
Not only Google Assistant, but you cannot remap the Bixby button to any other smart assistant apps for that matter. At least not directly.
But that doesn’t that it is not possible at all. Actually, there are two ways by which you can remap the Bixby button to Google Assistant. I recommend the first method (which involves installing bxActions. Hold on… There’s more to it. Read the full guide).
Method 1: Using bxActions (Recommended)
- Install the bxActions app from the Google Play Store by clicking below:Price: Free+
- Open the app. You will be asked to grant a couple of permissions. Grant all the required permissions by following the onscreen instructions.
- Once the setup is done: Tap on Bixby Button > Single press > Scroll down until you ‘Google’. Here you can select either Google Assistant or Google Assistant Extra depending on your need.
- Done (Almost).
Please note that the above should work PERFECTLY FINE. The following are just optional!
- Enable Developer options: Go to Settings > About phone > Software information > Tap on the Build number continuously until the Developer options menu is enabled.
- Enable USB Debugging: Go to Settings > Developer options > Enable USB Debugging.
- Connect your device to your PC.
- Open your Phone’s internal storage in PC Explorer and look for a folder named bxActions.
- You will find a file called ‘bxActions.exe‘. Double click and run the same.
- You will be presented with 3 options. Choose the 2nd option from the list. Click on the Enable button under the Full remapping.
- Wait a couple of seconds until the process is finished.
Now you can enjoy Google Assitant from the Bixby button without ever being disturbed by the Bixby!
Method 2: Using Bixby Commands
Personally, I don’t use this method. And I don’t recommend this method to anyone. Why? Cos it’s not the most efficient way. It’s plain bad. Read ahead an you will know why. If, for some reason, you don’t want to use a 3rd party app, you can use this method.
In the official method, Samsung will not allow you to directly map Bixby button Google Assitant. One of the things you can remap it to is Quick Commands. Quick Commands are nothing but a simple task to perform some action which also includes opening an app. This is what we are going to take advantage of.
- Even if you already have Google assistant on our device, you need to install Google Assistant from Google Play Store again.Price: Free
- Open Bixby > Tap n the three dots [Settings] > Select Quick commands.
- Give it a name in the next screen which says ‘What you want to say to Bixby‘.
- Next, tap on Add a command under What Bixby does and then select Type a command.
- On the next page, simply type ‘Launch Assistant‘ (Note: First letter CAPS for the word Assistant is important).
- Now, go to Bixby > Three dot Settings > Settings > Bixby Button.
- Once you are in the Bixby button Settings page, Select ‘Double press to open Bixby‘.
- Next, tap on Use single press > In the next screen select Run quick command and assign the command you just created.
So, why don’t I recommend this method? Because, whenever you press the Bixby button, Bixby will open showing ‘Google’ and ‘Launch Assistant’ and then will open Google Assistant. #FAIL.
Those are the two methods to remap Bixby button to open Google Assistant. While the second method also ‘technically’ works, I strongly suggest you go with the first method. Because the first is so much more efficient!
Need help? Drop a comment below!