Smartphones are supposed to make our life easier but there are times where these things make our life more completed. Let us say, for example, that you found an interesting article and you decided to give it a read. You start reading and then out of nowhere, a ton of ads keep popping up without even giving time for you to close them!
The same thing also happens when you are looking to download a certain app or a media file from the internet. You don’t even have to click on anything but the ads will keep popping up like crazy. It is now time to make all this stop.
In this article, we have laid out some easy but effective methods by which you can easily stop annoying pop-up ads on your Android device.
How to Stop Pop-up Ads on Android
Online privacy is becoming more and more vulnerable with each passing day. It is very important to keep ourselves protected while browsing the internet. While none of the pop-up block methods is 100 percent foolproof, with the right online security practices, you can keep away from most of the pop-up annoyances.
Here are some of the methods by which you can easily stop pop-up ads on your Android.
1. Chrome Pop-up Blocker
- Open Chrome browser on your Android.
- Tap on the menu button.
- Tap on the Settings.
- Scroll down and look for Site settings and tap on it.
- In the next screen, tap on pop-ups and make sure they are disabled.
2. Firefox for Android and Ghostery Add-on
If you are looking for a more aggressive approach for blocking pop-ups and ads, then you might want to other alternative browsers. Firefox for Android is our top recommendation for alternatives for Chrome on Android. Follow the below step-by-step guide to know how to install and set up Firefox for Android and Ghostery Add-on.
- If you have not already installed Firefox for Android, you can download and install the same from Google Play Store by clicking below:
- Open the Firefox browser and go through the initial set up process.
- Tap on the menu at the top right corner and tap on Add-ons.
- In the next screen, click on the Browse all Firefox Add-ons. Now you will be taken to the Firefox Add-ons official repository.
- In this screen, scroll down and tap on Ad blockers.
- In the next screen, look for Ghostery – Privacy Ad Blocker and tap on the same. (Or you can simply search for Ghostery).
- In the Ghostery Add-on screen, click on ‘+ Add to Firefox‘.
- You will be prompted whether or not to add the Add-on to the browser. Simply Tap on ADD.
Now you are completely safe from the pop-up ads! While there are many adblockers available for Firefox, we recommend Ghostery!
3. Opera Browser
If the above top options are not for you, then this is the next best thing to get if you are looking for solid ways to stop pop-up ads on your Android device.
Opera browser by default blocks unwanted ads. You can download and install Opera for from Google Play Store by clicking below:
4. Examine Latest Apps
Browsers are not the only places where you see pop-up ads (or even regular ads) on your Android device. Sometimes, they show up outside the browsers as well. Have you ever been in a situation where you just plugged in your device to charge it and out of nowhere an ad covers your entire lockscreen. Scary ain’t it? I have been in the exact same place a couple of times and it gets very, very annoying.
The reason for this is that one of the apps you have installed recently has gone rogue and has started throwing ads everywhere on your Android device.
One of the easiest ways to find out which apps you have installed recently is by using uninstaller apps from the Google Play Store. We recommend using UnApp from Google Play Store for this purpose. It is clean and beautifully designed. Follow the below steps:
- Download and install UnApp by Google Play Store by clicking below:
- Once the app is installed, click on the app icon and open the same.
- Once you are inside the app, click on the sort icon at the top right menu list.
- In the menu that shows up, click on the Installation date and tap on Descending.
Now, the app will list all the apps which have been installed on your Android device in the reverse order by which they are installed. That means the apps that are installed recently will show up first.
- Look into the list of apps and see if you find anything suspicious.
- If you cannot find anything suspicious, uninstall the most recently installed apps and see if the problem still persists.
5. Scan for Malware
As much as Android is customizable, it is no secret that Android gets targeted by all kinds of malware apps. In recent days, we keep hearing about security issues which happens in the Android ecosystem. One of the reasons why Android is targeted all the time by malware is because of the fact that it is the most popular operating system in the world and it powers more than 1 Billion devices as we speak.
Our top suggestion for scanning Malware on your Android device is Malwarebytes Security. You can download and install the latest version of the app from Google Play Store by clicking below:
Online Privacy is becoming more and more important thanks to all kinds of malicious activities on the internet. People are targeted by hackers every single day, all for money. So, it is very important to protect ourselves from these attacks.
One of the main methods by which hackers try to attack Android devices is by using malicious pop-up ads which upon clicking will redirect the user to a malicious site that might look legit at first glance.
Above are some of the methods by which you can safely stop pop-up ads on your Android device.
Does any of the above method help you stop annoying pop-up ads on your Android device? Know of any better ways to block pop-up ads on Android? Do let us know in the comments below!