Are you fascinated by those Businessmen that have their voicemail respond to other people’s call when they are busy or out on work and you have always wondered how to set up the Voicemail service on your Android Smartphone? Are you skeptical whether yo ur carrier’s voicemail service is better or the one that is available via the third party?
We here at ThemeFoxx have got you covered and will show that in just a few seconds by performing some steps on your smartphone how you can set up voicemail on your Android device.
Set Up Voicemail On Android
This guide shows two methods on how you can not only set up voicemail on Android using your Network Carrier but also shows how you can use Google Voice to set up your voicemail. We are going to look into both ways in detail.
Method 1: Carrier Voicemail
This method is for those users who believe and have tested and tried Voicemail Services of their carrier. Most cellphones operators offer voicemail services at different rates ranging from networks and countries. You can configure it easily within a few seconds using this method if you want to use the voicemail on your Android smartphone.
This method redirects your phone calls to your voicemail service and gets the messages later whenever you are not available to pick up or attend your phone calls. This method could be somewhat different for certain Android devices because of different carriers and firmware.
Follow the below-mentioned steps to set up your carrier voicemail service.
- Open the default Phone or Call app and press the “Settings” option on top of the screen of your Android phone.
- Select the “Call Settings” option and under that select “Voicemail“. This setting varies differently for different devices.
- Select “Voicemail” and then select My Carrier or My Operator.
- Tap on the”Voicemail Settings” or “Setup” option.
- Tap on the “Voicemail Number” option.
- Type in your Voicemail Number and select ok.
- Then open our Dialer app and continue pressing 1 till the voicemail service is dialed.
- Enter your PIN or Password when prompted.
- You can now record your name by speaking in the voicemail when prompted.
- Choose a default greeting message or record a new one.
- That’s it! you have successfully set up your voicemail services offered by your mobile carrier.
Method 2: Google Voice
Another method is to set up Voicemail services that are being offered by Google Voice. Google’s lineup of applications are popular among its user and you can use the “Google Voice” application which caters to the voicemail services. This method focuses on the use of an alternative voicemail service to the traditional voicemail services and is probably the best option available.
The list of features includes that you can make or receive calls via VOIP, call recording, downloading the voicemails, get a free number which is linked with your Gmail account, and also check your voicemails from other mobile phones by logging in from your Gmail account.
It also helps you redirect your voicemails to you as SMS or an email whenever you want. , Google Voice also has a feature, that allows you to set up different greetings or messages when somebody calls you up. In the past, only Google numbers had access to the service, but it is currently available on your original carrier number so you will not need to change your number. The detailed setup procedure is listed below and if followed correctly you would e able to enjoy the services of Google Voice.
Let us dig deep into it and set up Google Voice services.
Step 1. Google Number
First of all, you’ll need a Google number. Due to some restrictions, the Google Voice service is available in select countries, but you can overcome it via a VPN or Proxy service like Viper VPN, Secure Net VPN or any other VPN service provider application.
- Open “Google Voice” homepage on your PC/Laptop and log in with your Google Credentials and follow the further steps.
- Tap on “I want a new number”.
- After selecting your preferred Area or Zip Code, you can select your desired Google Number from the list provided.
- Type your PIN and agree to the Terms and Conditions of the Google Voice.
- Enter your current mobile number that will ring when someone calls on your Google number and click on the Continue button.
- Verify your number by tapping “Call me now” option and you will receive an automatic call from Google Voice. You will be provided with a Code in the call. Enter the code and the call will be disconnected once the code is verified.
Step 2. Setting up Google Voice and Voicemail
You need to set up Google Voice and Google Voicemail on your Android device after you have finished the above steps for getting the Google number. Follow the steps below to set up a new Google Voice account;
- Download and Install Google Voice App on your Android device.
- Press ‘Next’ on the welcome screen and sign in using your Google account.
- In the ‘Set up Google Voice’ screen, Tap “Next.”
- Select your preferred option under the “Making Calls” option and tap Next for the Google Voice screen call process. You can choose Google Voice to make all your calls, use it to make international calls, request before every call is made and do not make calls via Google Voice.
- You will be directed to the “Set up Voicemail” screen. Tap Next.
- Tap on the “Configure’ button to set up voicemail service. Tap on allow if Android Access Request pops up.
- Select “Google Voice” from the voice mail service pop up.
- Wait for the completion of the inbox sync. You will now be taken to the Inbox screen, which contains all of your voicemails. By tapping on individual messages, you can listen to these voicemails.
Step 3. Configuring Voicemail
This section is primarily for the configuration and adjustment of your voicemail service and the current Google Voicemail service settings. If you follow the steps above, your Voicemail service should normally be functional. You can edit or replace your settings for name or greetings based on your likings.
- Open “Google Voice” homepage on your PC/Laptop and Sign in using Google account.
- Click on the Settings icon on the top right of the page.
- Click on the Voicemail & Text tab.
- Click on “Record New Greeting“.
- Enter the Greeting Name and press continue.
- You will now receive a default call fro Google on your Android smartphone. Here, you have to speak and record your desired Voicemail Greeting.
- Other options such as name, PIN, transcripts, notifications and text forwarding may also be edited in the Voicemail & Text tab. This is it! The Google Voicemail Service on your Android has been activated and configured successfully.
Voicemail services are quite popular and as mentioned in the first para, it makes us feel super busy and a professional of some sorts. Setting up of Voicemail services are easy but you need to follow some steps that we have listed in this article.
Need help? Got an alternative way to do it? Do leave your thoughts about this guide in the comments below.