One of the most exciting features of the OnePlus 7 Pro is the 90Hz display. If you are reading this article, it is safe to assume that you are already aware of the feature and how it makes the whole user experience liquid smooth. But the thing is, the OnePlus 7 Pro does not always display the contents at 90Hz. Sometimes, it falls back to the regular 60Hz refresh rate, which might end being a bad experience for a few people. In this guide, we will tell you how to lock OnePlus 7 Pro display to 90Hz so that it will not randomly fall back to 60Hz refresh rate and ruin the experience.
Please note that this mod does not require root but we are going to make use of ADB to make this happen. If you have not installed ADB on your device yet, then we have some handy guide for that too.
Without further ado, let’s dive into the tutorial on how to lock OnePlus 7 Pro Display at 90Hz.
How to Lock the OnePlus 7 Pro Display Refresh Rate at 90Hz in All Apps
As we told already, we are going to make use of the ADB to get the job done. We also need to prep your phone a little bit to make it work properly with ADB. We have covered all the steps in the below guide. Follow them carefully and you should be good.
Installing ADB and Preparing your device
You need to download the ADB drivers to your device. You also need to make a few changes to the settings on your device. We have covered them all in details in the below guide:
Steps to lock OnePlus 7 Pro display at 90Hz
Once you have downloaded ADB and prepared your device to work with ADB, you can follow the below steps:
Things to keep in mind…
- Please note that using your device at 90Hz uses much more battery than using it at 60Hz. Though the difference is not phenomenal, it is certainly there. But you do get a more fluid experience on your OnePlus 7 Pro.
- If you restart your device, these mods may not be still there. That’s one of the disadvantages of applying mods over ADB. You can simply apply the mod by following the below steps.
- Someone might come up with a root app for this mod in the future at which point the mod will be permanent and survive a restart. Until then, the below method should be good.
- Connect your OnePlus 7 Pro to your PC via USB Cable.
- Go to the folder where you have extracted the contents of the download zip file. Open a command window here:
- Next, execute the below command in the command prompt or PowerShell window:
- If this is your first time connecting your Android after enabling USB Debugging, you should now get a prompt on your Android device as below:
Click on the checkbox ‘Always allow from the computer‘ and then click OK.
- Now, once again, execute the below command in the command prompt or PowerShell window:
Now, you should see your device is listed on the screen with your device serial number.
- Next, execute the following command:
- Make sure you’re given the new OnePlus7Pro shell prompt.
- Now, execute the below command:
settings put global oneplus_screen_refresh_rate 0
- In your phone, go to Settings > Display > Screen refresh rate. Here, nothing would be selected now. Go ahead and select 90Hz.
You are all set now. From here on, your OnePlus 7 Pro display will always be locked to 90Hz.
If you have followed all the steps in the above guide, you should be good to go. From our experience so far, using the device at 90Hz at all the time in all the apps definitely takes a hit on the battery. You might notice the battery life runs out a tad bit faster than the usual. It is completely normal. Also, the mods or hacks you apply through ADB may not stick if you restart your device. That is one of the disadvantages of this method. But if you do not restart your device quite often, you should be good. Also, if restart your device, you can simply execute the command in the 8th point in the guide to re-apply the mod.
This is the easiest way to lock OnePlus 7 Pro Display at 90Hz without root or any app. If you face any difficulties with any of the steps above, simply drop a comment below and shall help you out!