Asus just launched its flagship for 2019 a couple of days ago dubbed as the Zenfone 6 or the Asus 6Z. It looks like a very decent device in the midrange market offering premium specs at not so premium price. Installing TWRP Recovery on Asus 6z will help you install custom ROMs, Custom Kernels, and also enabled you to easily root your device. While there are many other ways by which you can root an Android device, using Magisk to root Android is the best way as of now. And for that TWRP is mandatory! Read ahead to know how to install TWRP on the Asus Zenfone 6 and then how to root it using Magisk.
Recommended: Asus Zenfone 6 (Asus 6Z): ‘Flagship Killer’ Killer?
How to Root Asus Zenfone 6 using Magisk
- Rooting may be a pretty complex task for some. Make sure to take a complete backup of your device before proceeding. Guide: Guide to Backup Android Device Without Root
- Make sure you have enough charge left on your device. A minimum of 50% is recommended.
- Make sure you have the latest ADB and Fastboot tool installed on your Mac/Windows/Linux in addition to the latest Asus USB drivers.
- Enable USB Debugging and OEM unlock in Developer Options.
Rooting your device will require you to unlock your bootloader. In most cases, this will effectively void your device warranty. That said, unlocking bootloader and rooting are complex processes and may not always produce the desired results. Know what you are doing and always have a backup before proceeding. The author or ThemeFoxx cannot be held responsible in case anything unexpected happens to your device. Remember, you are warned.
Steps To Unlock The Bootloader Of Asus Zenfone 6
- Download the official Asus Bootloader Unlock App by clicking here.
- Install the bootloader unlock apk file on your phone.
- Follow the instructions directed to you by the app and you will have your phone’s bootloader unlocked.
Steps To Install TWRP and Root Your Asus Zenfone 6
- The TWRP image file ‘test-twrp-3.3.1-1-I01WD-zenfonde6.img’ should be copied to the folder where ADB and Fastboot tools are installed in your PC. The other two files you have downloaded need not be copied to your device, yet. We will do that at a later part in the guide.
- Connect your phone with your PC via a USB cable.
- Navigate to the folder where you have the adb and fastboot tools installed and open a command prompt window there.
⇒ Hold down Shift Key + Right click > Select ‘Open command window here‘ or ‘Open PowerShell window here‘.
- Once connected, type the following command in the command window and this command should return your device’s serial number. If your device’s serial number does not appear, the connection between your PC and Phone is broken.
- If your phone’s serial number appears, type the following commands to boot your device into fastboot mode:
adb reboot bootloader
- Now, type the following code to flash TWRP recovery in your device:
fastboot boot test-twrp-3.3.1-1-I01WD-zenfonde6.img
Note: If you have got a different twrp image, you enter that name.
- Once you enter the above command, the device will reboot into TWRP mode. In TWRP, click on Wipe and then click on Format Data and then in the next screen type ‘yes‘ and format the data on your device.
- Next, connect your device to your PC again, if not already. Transfer the TWRP Zip file and the Magisk zip file you had downloaded to your device.
- After the files are copied:
- Tap on Install.
- Select the TWRP zip file, test-twrp-3.3.1-1-I01WD-zenfonde6-installer.zip
- Again, click on ‘Add more Zips’ button and select Magisk Zip file.
- Swipe on the ‘Swipe to confirm Flash‘ to flash.
- When the flashing completes successfully, normally reboot your device.
Once the installation finished, reboot your device and look for an app called Magisk Manager. If it is not installed, download Magisk Manager APK and install it on your device.
Recommended: Best Magisk Modules for Android 
Congratulations! You just successfully unblocked the bootloader, installed TWRP and rooted your Asus Zenfone 6 using Magisk.
This is the easiest way to root your Asus Zenfone 6. I hope this article works the way it is intended to be. Let us know about your experience trying out the methods mentioned in this article in the comments section down below. In case I missed mentioning anything or if there is some topic which you want me to cover, please let me know in the comments section down below.