Unlocking the bootloader of any android device is the very first step towards unlocking the greatest potentials of your phone. Be it installing custom ROMs or custom Kernels or if you want to modify any device partitions or do something with your device which is not officially supported by your OEM, you need root access and it can only be granted once the bootloader is unlocked. In this article, I will guide on how to unlock the bootloaders of Moto devices. This guide will help you to unlock the bootloader of all Moto devices out there.
While unlocking the bootloader of a Moto device is not as easy as the Pixels or Nexus phones out there but it is still easier when compared to devices of other OEMs.
In most cases, unlocking the bootloader will effectively void your device warranty. That said, unlocking bootloader may be a complex process and may not always produce the desired results. Know what you are doing and always have a backup before proceeding. The author or ThemeFoxx cannot be held responsible in case anything unexpected happens to your device. Remember, you are warned.
- A Motorola ID with which you will log in to the Motorola’s website and request for the unlock code.
- It may be a complex process. Make sure to take a complete backup of your device before proceeding. Guide: Guide to Backup Android Device Without Root
- Make sure you have enough charge left on your device. A minimum of 60% is recommended.
- Make sure you have the latest ADB and Fastboot tool installed on your Mac/Windows/Linux.
- Enable USB Debugging in Developer Options.
Steps To Unlock Moto Bootloader
Before proceeding with the unlocking procedure, we need to get the unlock code from Motorola. To do so, follow this step:
- Connect your phone to your PC with a data cable and then open a command-line window.
- Type these commands to ensure that your phone is being detected by fastboot:
If it gets detected, your phone’s device ID will appear on the screen. If not, check for the connections.
- Now, type these commands to boot your phone into the bootloader mode:
adb reboot bootloader
- Get the device unlock data by typing this command:
fastboot oem unlock get_unlock_data
This command will return the unlock data for your device which will be in the form of strings. Note it down accurately. It will be required sometime later.
- Open Motorola’s Unlock webpage and log in using your Motorola ID.
- Scroll until you see the NEXT button. Click on it.
- In this page, you will be asked to mention your unlock data which we discovered in step 4. Mention the data and agree to the terms and conditions.
- Once done, click on “Request Unlock Key”. You will receive a mail from Motorola on your registered mail with the unlock key.
Once we receive the unlock key, we are only a couple of lines of codes away from unlocking the bootloader. So, without further ado, let’s get the thing done.
- Open the command window once again and type this command:
fastboot oem unlock ********
Note to replace ******** with the unlock key which would have been mailed to you by Motorola.
- Execute the below command to reboot your device normally:
Congratulations! You just unlocked the bootloader of your Moto device.
This is the easiest way to unlock the bootloader of Moto devices. I hope this article works the way it is intended to be. Let us know about your experience trying out the methods mentioned in this article in the comments section down below. In case I missed mentioning anything or if there is some topic which you want me to cover, please let me know in the comments section down below.
Follow ThemeFoxx on Facebook & Twitter to get all the latest updates.