In this guide, we will tell you how to boot into Google Pixel 4 fastboot mode and Google Pixel 4 XL fastboot mode. Fastboot mode really comes in handy when your phone is bricked and you need to flash stock ROM files on your device. Apart from flashing stock ROM, there are several other advantages to using the fastboot mode. Please note that you do not need to modify or add anything to your device in order to enter the Pixel 4 fastboot mode.
Devices from Google, be it the Nexus line-up or the current Pixel lineup, have always been and still are some of the most developer-friendly devices out there. The reason is that Google is very prompt in releasing the source code for their software and kernel enabling the developers to tinker around and make interesting stuff. There is always a relatively bigger buzz around the Pixel devices as compared to other devices because of this reason.
What is Fastboot Mode?
Android has a built-in maintenance mode used for diagnostic and upgrading purposes. This mode is specifically designed for e-partitioning the phone, accessing vital system data, manually flashing firmware and much more. This mode is clearly targeted at developers and advanced users but it really comes in handy when you want to take full control of your device by rooting and installing custom ROMs on your device.
The fastboot mode helps you flash stock firmware on your Android device. It allows you to flash a full firmware or even parts of firmware such as data, system, modem, boot, recovery, etc. With a proper fastboot setup on your Android device, you can easily connect your Android device in fastboot mode to your computer.
Booting into fastboot mode is completely safe if you know what you are doing. If you are worried about losing your warranty, don’t be. Simply booting into fastboot mode is not going to void the warranty of your Android device.
Google Pixel 4 Fastboot Mode
There are two different ways to boot into Pixel 4 Fastboot Mode and both of them are listed below:
Boot Fastboot Mode on Google Pixel 4/4 XL
- Switch off your Google Pixel 4/Pixel 4 XL.
- Press and hold the Volume Down and Power button for 5-6 seconds then release.
- The phone will now boot into fastboot mode.
Boot Fastboot Mode on Google Pixel 4/4 XL using Computer
This method will really come in handy when you have bricked your device or if it is refusing to switch on or boot into OS. You are going to need a computer for this method.
- Install ADB and Fastboot – Android SDK Platform Tools on Windows, MacOS or Linux. Here are the ADB and Fastboot file links:
Windows: Download ADB and Fastboot zip files.
MacOS: Download ADB and Fastboot zip files.
Linux: Download ADB and Fastboot zip files.
- Make sure you have completed the above step and have setup fastboot on your computer.
- Enable Developer Options on your Pixel 4: Go to Settings > Software Information > Tap on Build number continuously till you unlock developer mode.
- Enable USB Debugging on your Pixel 4: Go to Settings > Developer options > Enable USB debugging.
- Connect your device to the computer. Go to the folder where you have installed ADB and Fastboot on your computer and open a command window from here:
Method 1: Go to the ADB and Fastboot folder. Hold down Shift Key. Right Click > Select ‘Open command window here’. [OR]
Method 2: Go to the ADB and Fastboot folder. Type ‘cmd’ in the address bar.
- In the command prompt, enter the following command:
adb reboot bootloader
Note: If this is your first time connecting your device to your computer after USB Debugging is enabled, you might want to authorize your computer on your phone. You will get a pop up on your phone > Simply Allow it.
- Your device will not boot into fastboot mode.
These are the two easiest ways to boot into Pixel 4 Fastboot Mode.