In this guide, we will tell you how to boot into Google Pixel 4 recovery mode and Google Pixel 4 XL recovery mode. Recovery mode really comes in handy when you want to root or flash custom ROMs (via custom recoveries such as TWRP) on your Android device. Apart from flashing custom ROMs, there are several other advantages to using the recovery mode. Please note that you do not need to modify or add anything to your device in order to enter the Pixel 4 recovery mode.
Devices from Google, be it the Nexus line-up or the current Pixel lineup, have always been and still are some of the most developer-friendly devices out there. The reason is that Google is very prompt in releasing the source code for their software and kernel enabling the developers to tinker around and make interesting stuff. There is always a relatively bigger buzz around the Pixel devices as compared to other devices because of this reason.
What is Recovery Mode?
Recovery Mode is built into the Android source code and is available on all the Android devices out there. Recovery mode is harmless and does not void your warranty. But keep in mind that recovery mode is pretty powerful and a wrong move can leave you without your data. Below are some of the uses of the Recovery Mode:
- Apply OTA updates.
- Install Stock ROM packages.
- Format User Data.
- Format Cache Partition.
If you observe carefully, all of the actions that you are able to perform in the recovery mode are maintenance-oriented.
Booting into recovery mode is completely safe if you know what you are doing. If you are worried about losing your warranty, don’t be. Simply booting into recovery mode is not going to void the warranty of your Android device.
Google Pixel 4 Recovery Mode
There are two different ways to boot into Pixel 4 Recovery Mode and both of them are listed below:
Boot Recovery Mode on Google Pixel 4/4 XL
- Switch off your Google Pixel completely.
- Boot into Google Pixel recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Down and Power keys at the same time for a few seconds.
- When you see the Android logo, press and hold the Power key.
- Now, while holding down the Power key, press the Volume Up key once and then release the Power key.
Boot Recovery Mode on Google Pixel 4/4 XL using Computer
This method will really come in handy when you have bricked your device or if it is refusing to switch on or boot into OS. You are going to need a computer for this method.
Install ADB and Fastboot – Android SDK Platform Tools on Windows, MacOS or Linux. Here are the ADB and Fastboot file links:
Windows: Download ADB and Fastboot zip files.
MacOS: Download ADB and Fastboot zip files.
Linux: Download ADB and Fastboot zip files.
- Make sure you have completed the above step and have setup adb on your computer.
- Enable Developer Options on your Pixel 4: Go to Settings > Software Information > Tap on Build number continuously till you unlock developer mode.
- Enable USB Debugging on your Pixel 4: Go to Settings > Developer options > Enable USB debugging.
- Connect your device to the computer. Go to the folder where you have installed ADB and Fastboot on your computer and open a command window from here:
Method 1: Go to the ADB and Fastboot folder. Hold down Shift Key. Right Click > Select ‘Open command window here’. [OR]
Method 2: Go to the ADB and Fastboot folder. Type ‘cmd’ in the address bar.
- In the command prompt, enter the following command:
adb reboot recovery
Note: If this is your first time connecting your device to your computer after USB Debugging is enabled, you might want to authorize your computer on your phone. You will get a pop up on your phone > Simply Allow it.
- Your device will not boot into recovery mode.
These are the two easiest ways to boot into Pixel 4 Recovery Mode.