Looking for a way to hide Notch on Android device? We have just the right guide for you. Whether you like it or not, Notch is here to stay as more and more manufacturers are opting for it. In this guide, we will tell you how to get rid of the Display Notch on Android devices.
2017 was the year of an evolution of smartphone design. Phones got bigger displays but the dimensions didn’t grow big. This was possible by reducing the bezels around the display. Last year, it looked like every OEM is trying hard to attain the highway screen to body ratio possible.
To achieve the highest screen to body ratio possible, different techniques tried and tested. Most went with the 18:9 display, Samsung came up with the Infinity display but there were some manufacturers like Essential and Apple that went with a top-notch display; I meant display with a notch at the top.
Get Rid of Notch on Android Devices
The notched display is undoubtedly one of the most polarising innovation in the history of the smartphone industry. Some like it but many hate it. It was surprising to many that many Android phone makers are opting to go for a display with the notch. Huawei, Asus, Oppo, Vivo, Leagoo, Noa, Vince, and Ulephone are some of those who have launched their handsets with a notched display. The upcoming OnePlus 6 will be launched with the same concept while LG G7 is rumored to be coming with a notch.
Hate it or Like it, the notch is to stay. For all the notch haters, you have 3 options now:
- Search for a phone without a notched display. (There is very less chance that you will get a good phone without a notch.)
- Get over the notch-phobia and start embracing the notch.
- Stay adamant. Buy a phone with a notched display and look for ways to get rid of it.
If you are the 3rd kind of user, we here at Themefoxx have something to help you out.
Steps to Hide the Notch on Android
XDA developer Zachary Wander has developed a free app called “Notcha Notch” with the purpose of hiding the display notch by blacking out the entire section of the display along the notch.
- Download and install the app from the Google Play Store: Price: Free
- You will not be finding it in your app drawer. Go to the ‘Settings’ app, click on Apps and search for ‘Notcha Notch’.
- Once found, tap on it and under the ‘Permission’ section, grant all the permissions.
- Go to your home screen and open the “Quick Settings Menu” by swiping down from the status bar.
- Along the top or bottom of this menu will be a pencil icon — select this to enter edit mode.
- Once in edit mode, scroll to the bottom and look for the “Hide Notch” tile.
- Now, hold and drag the tile to the top and leave it among the section of active tiles.
- Close and open the Quick Settings Menu. Click on the ‘Hide Notch’ tile.
With this, your notch will be hidden. This can also result in a marginal gain in the battery life of the phones that come with an OLED display as the pixels in that region will be turned off. The app apparently replicates the feature that is built-in on the Huawei P20/P20 Pro. Now, Android users don’t need to suffer from the notch phobia. Let’s take a moment to thank Zachary Wander for his innovation.
This is the easiest way to get rid of the notch.Let us know about your experience of using Notcha Notch.