In this article, we will guide you on how to edit APN settings and enable Native Hotspot on your Galaxy S9 and Note 8. Hotspot is one of the important and useful features and is very much useful especially while traveling. Read ahead to know how to enable native hotspot on Galaxy S9 and Note 8.
Nowadays even though the smartphones are capable of doing the same amount of work or even do more than our computers can, sometimes it can be more practical to use a computer. So, Not in every place, you can find some WiFi but of course, you can use your mobile data, sharing it through the Hotspot.
Congratulations! If you are the owner of a brand new Galaxy S9 or note 8, But did you buy it from a network carrier? Coz If yes, then chances are that your device must have been blocked from using its inbuilt network-sharing features. This is not a rare case scenario coz it happens with almost all who purchases their smartphone from a network carrier. Sometimes, mobile carriers even lock the devices to their very own networks Consequently, and you are locked out from accessing APN settings as well. If you want to share your mobile network with other devices that you have, or with the devices someone else has, you’re required to pay for it Whether you like it or not? That stays your opinion.
In this case, if you want to share your mobile network with other devices that you might have or for devices which others have without paying for it, then you must continue to read as we provide the best possible way to do in this article and the Good news is that you don’t even require flashing any custom ROM or root your device for that matter.
This can be performed using an app available on Google Play Store which is totally free and it is called Shortcut Master Lite, The shortcut Master lite wasn’t actually developed for enabling native hotspot features exactly but it is the Lite version or free version of the ”Shortcut Master”, an app that reveals any hidden shortcuts or secret codes on your Android devices. Since the carriers only disable the ability to launch APN settings or enable hotspot from the Settings app, one can use an app like “Shortcut Master” to do that instead, more or less it is there in its simplest manner.
This method was originally put together by BlueFox721 from XDA who tested it on his Sprint Galaxy Note 8 as well as an unlocked Galaxy Note 8. The method is very much the same as it was for the Galaxy Note 8. We’ve also written a guide for the Galaxy Note 8 that you can see instead if you have a Note 8. However, both the methods are same and hence it doesn’t make much difference. Note that even if you do enable hotspot using this method, the data shared through the hotspot is still counted as your mobile data and not hotspot data.
Another XDA member who goes by the name jygsaw has now tested this and found it to be working for his Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus as well. He also happens to be using Sprint but this method should work for any network. Some users have managed to enable the native hotspot and even edit APN settings while some others haven’t been as lucky. So far it is hard to tell since there is no consistency between user reports even on devices with the same model number running the exact same firmware version. In some cases, you may be able to enable hotspot but not edit APN settings. You’ll just have to try this on your own. This will not void your warranty and the method is risk-free so try it as you don’t have anything to lose but only to gain if it works.
Install Shortcut Master Lite
For this procedure, we are going to make use of an app called Shortcut Master Lite. You can download the app for free from Google Play Store by clicking below:
Edit APN Settings
1. Launch the Shortcut Master Lite app.
2. Click on the three-dot menu button in the top-right corner.
3. Select the App Explorer and wait as it may take a couple of seconds to load up all the apps.
4. Find com.test.LTEfunctionality and select it. You can do this by simply scrolling down or you can simply tap on the menu button and select search. Type com.test.LTEfunctionality to search for it. It’s easy to identify as it has a gears icon next to it.
5. Once you have selected com.test.LTEfunctionality, select the first item which is labeled as LTEFunctionalityTest.
6. Select Launch from the menu that appears.
7. Now scroll down and select LTE APN Setting.
8. Then select the APN Setting that you want to edit. You can also add your own by tapping Add instead.
9. After you’re done, tap on the menu button again, select Save and exit the app.
Enable Native Hotspot
- Select your carrier’s internet APN setting as mentioned in step 5 in the above section. Please note that this is different for different carriers. For instance, it is listed as APN2 LTE internet for Sprint. It might be listed as something else for you.
- Scroll down and select APN Type.
- Add DUN to the setting so that it reads as “default,MMS,DUN” as seen in the screenshot below.
- Save the new settings by tapping the menu button and selecting Save.
- Exit the app.
This is the easiest way by which you can enable hotspot on Galaxy S9, S9 Plus, and Galaxy Note 8.