Official TWRP for Xiaomi Redmi 5 and Redmi 5 Plus is available now! In this guide, you will learn how to install TWRP Recovery on Redmi 5 [Plus]. You will also learn how to root Redmi 5 and Redmi 5 Plus.
Once again Xiaomi brings the best budget phones Redmi 5 and Redmi 5 plus. The Redmi 5 has a less battery capacity comparing to Redmi 5 plus but we are not going to compare them but following the trend of 2017 they both have a curved display with decent specifications in this budget.
After the launch, the devices were sold massively. Since most of the users want to modify and get more form their Redmi 5 and also Redmi 5 Plus. We have detailed and simplest guide to about how to root Redmi 5 and how to root Redmi 5 Plus.
How to Root Redmi 5 Plus/Redmi 5
The very first step to root any Android device these days is to have a working TWRP recovery installed on it. Once the TWRP Recovery is installed, it is pretty much a cakewalk from there on.
Fortunately, Official TWRP for Redmi 5 and 5 Plus are available now. Once you Unlock Bootloader of Redmi 5 [Plus], we can flash TWRP recovery on Redmi 5. Then we can root Redmi 5 by flashing Magisk or SuperSU!
Reason to Root Redmi 5 Plus or Redmi 5
Let’s have a look at the benefits of rooting Redmi 5/Redmi 5 Plus.
- It gives more flexibility to customize your device the way you want it to be.
- You can install custom ROMs and make the most of your device.
- Keep your device updated with custom ROMs even after official updates stop.
- Remove unwanted Bloatware from your device.
- Install several mods such as Dolby Atmos, ViPER4Android, Magisk Mods and Xposed Modules.
The first step is to install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Redmi 5 or Redmi 5 Plus which will allow you to flash Magisk or Super SU on your device. After flashing the Super SU or Magisk zip your device will have the root access. Having root access will give super access to your Redmi 5/Redmi 5 Plus it’s like the administrator permission on PC so you can customize, modify the android setting according to your need. So, let’s get going…
- The Bootloader of your Redmi 5/Redmi 5 Plus must be unlocked.
- Take a full backup of your data since the data from your device will be wiped out: Guide to Backup Android Device Without Root.
- Install ADB and Fastboot drivers on your PC: Download and Install Minimal ADB and Fastboot.
- Your device must be charged upto 60-70% inorder to prevent the power loss while rooting Redmi 5 Plus from while rooting.
- TWRP Recovery for Xiaomi Redmi 5
- TWRP Recovery for Xiaomi Redmi 5 Plus
How to Install TWRP Recovery on Redmi 5/Redmi 5 Plus
Step 1: Download the TWRP Recovery from the download section. If you have Redmi 5 you will have to download the TWRP for Redmi 5 or if you have Redmi 5 Plus the download the TWRP Recovery for Redmi 5 Plus. Installing TWRP Recovery on your device is the first step to root Xiaomi Redmi 5 or Redmi 5 Plus
Step 2: Once downloaded, Copy the file in the ADB and Fastboot folder and rename it to recovery.img
Step 3: Now open Command Window from inside the folder where ADB and Fastboot are installed:
Hold Shift key+Right Click > Select the option Open Command Window Here
Step 4: Boot Redmi 5/Redmi 5 Plus device into Fastboot mode, To boot your device into fastboot mode,
- Power off your device.
- Now hold the Volume Down + Power button simultaneously for 2-3 sec.
Step 5: Once your device is in Fastboot mode, Connect your device to PC via USB cable.
Step 6: After connecting your device type the command in the command prompt to flash/install the TWRP Recovery on your device.
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
Step 7: Reboot your device by typing the command as,
Congratulations! You have successfully flashed TWRP Recovery on Redmi 5 and Redmi 5 Plus and also completed the first step to root Xiaomi Redmi 5/Redmi 5 Plus.
How to Root Redmi 5 [Plus] using Magisk or SuperSU
Step 1: Boot your device into TWRP recovery mode.
- Power off the device.
- Now hold the Volume Up + Power button for 2-3sec.
Step 2: When you are in TWRP Recovery menu,
- Click on Wipe > Format Data.
- Type Yes to wipe the device completely.
- When done, Reboot to recovery mode by Clicking on Reboot > Recovery.
- Click on Mount.
- Now Connect your phone to the PC and press the Enable MTP button.
Step 3: After that download the Magisk or SuperSU zip and transfer it to your device’s internal storage. Once copied, disconnect the device and return to TWRP Recovery main menu and
- Click on Install.
- Navigate and select the Magisk/SuperSU zip file which you have downloaded.
- Swipe right to confirm flash button to root your Xiaomi Redmi 5 and Redmi 5 Plus.
- Once the installation is complete, Click the Wipe Cache/Dalvik button.
- Now Reboot, to reboot your device Click on Reboot System and done.
Congratulations! You have learned how to root Xiaomi Redmi 5/Redmi 5 Plus and how to install TWRP Recovery on Redmi 5/Redmi 5 Plus.