If you have ever used any Huawei or Honor phones in the past, you must be acquainted with EMUI (Emotion UI) which is the user interface that powers most of the Huawei and Honor phones. EMUI is a custom skin developed by Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd and it is based on the Android Operating System. It was first made to the public in late 2012. Today Huawei is the 2nd largest mobile manufacturer of the world and EMUI is powering their devices. This signifies that a huge chunk of the global population uses EMUI.
If you have ever installed any custom ROMs on your phone, it is unlikely for you to receive over the air system updates. In such a scenario, you might wish for returning to the stock firmware to get support from your OEM. There are two ways of installing stock firmware on Huawei or Honor devices. If you are wishing to learn how to revert back to stock firmware on Huawei or Honor phones, here is a guide for the same.
- Take a complete backup of your Huawei or Honor device. Here is a guide for the same.
- Make sure that your phone has at least 70% of juice left in it.
Methods To Install Stock Firmware On Huawei or Honor Devices:
Method 1: Using Huawei Recovery Updater (Root Required)
- Make sure that you have your device’s bootloader unlocked and TWRP installed. Huawei has announced that it will not allow its users to unlock the bootloader after 22nd June 2018. Hence, if you have not done it already, this method is of no use for you. Head over to Method 2.
- Download the following files:
- Move these downloaded files to a folder in your external memory. It is recommended to keep the recovery.img file in the same folder if you want to keep custom recovery.
- Now, reboot your device into recovery mode and flash HuRUpdater.zip by custom recovery.
- Once the installation is completed, boot your device normally.
Method 2: Using dload (Root Not Required)
- Download the stock firmware zip files and extract it. You can download the stock firmware for Huawei or Honor phones from Huawei Firmware Database.
- From the list of extracted files, move update.app file to a folder in your external storage.
- Now, open your phone’s dialer and dial *#*#2846579#*#* to open a hidden menu.
- Once the menu appears, tap on Project Menu, then tap on Software Upgrade and finally tap on SDCard Upgrade.
- Now, select the file that you moved to the external storage in the 2nd step to install it.
- Once the installation is completed, restart your device.
Congratulations! You just installed the stock firmware on your Huawei or Honor phone.
If you used the 1st method, take a moment to thank XDA senior member zxz0O0 who made it possible.
These are the easiest ways to install stock firmware on Huawei or Honor phones. I hope this article works the way it is intended to be. Let us know about your experience trying out the methods mentioned in this article in the comments section down below. In case I missed mentioning anything or if there is some topic which you want me to cover, please let me know in the comments section down below.