A detailed step by step guide on how to install TWRP Recovery and Root Samsung Galaxy Note 8 Exynos Version. Samsung Galaxy Note 8 was released a few weeks ago and it is receiving a lot of love from fans and reviewers alike. The beautiful edge to edge infinity display, the improved S Pen and the dual camera setup in the background are the highlights of the device. The Galaxy Note 8, by itself, is a great phone out of the box. It’s a true beast packing all the raw power needed to perform all the heavy tasks you throw at it. But how to make it even better? Root and a Custom Recovery. Well, if you own the Exynos version of the device, then you are in luck today. There is an unofficial version of TWRP already available for the device. All thanks to the XDA Member geiti94.
How to Root Galaxy Note 8
Compatible Models: All Exynos Powered Samsung Galaxy Note 8 Models:
- Not compatible models: Anything other than what has been mentioned above. For example SM-N950U/U1/W/0/8/6. Any Snapdragon Powered Galaxy Note 8 is a no go. Those sold in USA, China, Japan, Hong Kong, to name a few.
- Download and Install ADB and Fastboot
- Guide to backup your device without root
- Download Samsung USB Drivers
- Your device needs to have a 60% charge at the least, just in case!
You need to download the below files which will use in the tutorial to root the Exynos Samsung Galaxy Note 8:
- Samsung Galaxy Note 8 TWRP Recovery [Galaxy_note_8_twrp-3.1.1-0-greatlte.img.tar]
- Download Magisk Zip
- Download Magisk Manager
Steps to Install TWRP Recovery on Galaxy Note 8
Follow the below steps carefully:
Step 1. Enable OEM Unlock:
- Go to Settings > About phone, and then tap ‘Build number’ 7 times or until you see the ‘you’re now a developer’ message pop up.
- Now go back to Settings, and into Developer options. Now, look for OEM Unlock, and select it using its toggle button.
Step 2. Copy the Magisk Zip file and Magisk Manager APK to your phone.
Step 3. Extract the downloaded ODIN zip file on your PC. You will get an ODIN .exe file in a folder.
Step 4. Reboot Galaxy Note 8 into download mode:
- Disconnect your Galaxy Note 8 from PC if it is connected.
- Power off your Galaxy Note 8. Wait 6-7 seconds after screen goes off.
- Press and hold the three buttons: Power + Bixby + Volume down buttons together until you see a warning screen.
- Once you see the warning screen, release all button and press Volume Up to continue to download mode.
Step 5. Open the ODIN application by double-clicking the ODIN .exe file. You should see the below screen:
Step 6. Connect your Galaxy Note 8 to PC via USB cable. Odin should recognize your Galaxy Note 8. See screenshot below:
Step 7. Load TWRP into ODIN: Click the AP button on Odin and the select the TWRP file in .TAR format. (Filename: Galaxy_note_8_twrp-3.1.1-0-greatlte.img.tar)
Step 8. IMPORTANT: Make sure that the Re-partition and Auto Reboot checkbox are NOT selected, under the Options tab. Don’t use PIT tab either.
Step 9. Click on the ‘Start‘ button and wait for the process to complete. You will get a ‘PASS’ indicator once the procedure is successful.
Congratulation, you have successfully installed TWRP on your Galaxy Note 8.
Your phone will NOT restart. DO NOT restart it either. Head on to the next section to Root Galaxy Note 8.
Steps to Root Samsung Galaxy Note 8
Follow the below steps:
Step 1. Now your device would still be in Download mode. We need to boot it into TWRP Recovery.
Step 2. Boot into TWRP Recovery:
- Press and hold Volume down + Bixby + Power button together until the screen goes off.
- Once the screen goes off, do this quickly: while still holding the Power and Bixby button, press Volume Up instead of Volume down button to reboot into recovery mode.
Step 3. In TWRP, when it asks for it, allow for System modifications. ‘Swipe to allow modifications’ is the way to go here.
Step 4. Once you are inside TWRP, tap on ‘Install’ and select the download Magisk Zip file and flash the same.
Step 5. Once the installation is complete, reboot your Galaxy Note 8.
Step 6. After the device boots up, install the downloaded Magisk Manager APK file and you are good to go!
Congratulation, you have successfully rooted your Galaxy Note 8.