Nokia Online Service Tool is the Nokia’s PC Software to flash stock firmware on Nokia devices. It is always good to know how to flash stock firmware on your device. OST Tool can install stock firmware on Nokia Android devices such as Nokia 8, Nokia 9, Nokia 2, Nokia 3, Nokia 5, Nokia 6. Read ahead to download Nokia OST Tool.
Nokia made a much-expected comeback last year with a bunch of Android devices. According to recent news, Nokia is already the 5th largest Android OEM by sales numbers, which is pretty impressive. As with any Android device, it is always a good idea to know how to manually install/flash stock firmware on your Nokia device.
Adding to that, whenever a big update is rolled out, you need not have to wait for the OTA to arrive at your device, rather, you can manually download and flash the full firmware. In this guide, we will tell you how to properly install the Nokia Online Service Tool so that you can seamlessly install stock firmware on your Nokia device.
Nokia OST Tool [Nokia OST LA]
The Nokia Online Service Tool shortly referred to as Nokia OST Tool is a windows software application program used to install stock firmware on Nokia Android devices. This could be seen as Odin (Samsung) for Nokia devices.
The Nokia Online Service tool was never intended to be used by the public and that is the reason why when you try to run it on your computer, you will be prompted to enter credentials to proceed with using the tool. We think this is some sort of security mechanism which Nokia has introduced to make sure that this tool can only be used by its own employees!
But that does not stop our awesome developers from patching this awesome tool and thus opening the gates for all of us to use it. The patching involves simply replacing one of the files and deleting another in the Nokia OST Tool installation folder. Do not worry, we have covered every single step in detail in the below post!
The Nokia Online Service Tool Supports the following devices:
- Nokia 8110 4G
- Nokia 1
- Nokia 1 Plus
- Nokia 2
- Nokia 2.1
- Nokia 3
- Nokia 3.1
- Nokia 3.1 Plus
- Nokia 3.2
- Nokia 4.2
- Nokia 5
- Nokia 5.1
- Nokia 5.1 Plus (Nokia X5)
- Nokia 6
- Nokia 6.1 (Nokia 6 2018 2nd Gen.)
- Nokia 6.1 Plus (Nokia X6)
- Nokia X71
- Nokia 7
- Nokia 7.1
- Nokia 7 Plus
- Nokia 8
- Nokia 8 Sirocco
- Nokia 8.1 (Nokia X7)
- Nokia 9 PureView
Download Nokia OST Tool (OST LA)
There are two versions of the tool available for download depending on the type of firmware you want to flash on your Nokia device.
Nokia Online Service Tool (OST) 6.0.4
For Android 6 Marshmallow or Android 7 Nougat firmware
Nokia Online Service Tool (OST) 6.1.2
For Android 8 Oero or Android 9 Pie firmware
The Nokia Online Update tool comes with the official Nokia USB Drivers. This means that you do not have to download and install the USB drivers separately as they will be installed automatically when you install the tool. On the other hand, there are two tools that you must have installed on your computer before for the Nokia OST Tool to work:
How to Install Nokia OST Tool
- Download both the packages from the downloads section above.
- Extract both the zip files.
- Open the Nokia OST Tool Folder. You will find an executable file named ‘Launcher‘.
- Double click it to install the Nokia OST Tool on your Windows PC.
- The tool will be installed in the below location on your PC:
C:Program Files (x86)OST LA
- Open the folder named Nokia OST Tool Patch. You will find an executable file named OnlineUpdateTool.exe. Copy this file from here. Go to the folder where OST Tool is installed.
- When you try to paste the file, you will be prompted with a dialog box asking what to do with the duplicate file. Click on the ‘Replace option’ as in below:
- Paste the copied file into the folder. You will be asked whether to replace the existing file – replace it.
- Delete the file named ‘OnlineUpdateTool.exe.config’. Refer to the above image!
You have successfully installed the Nokia Online Service Tool. You can now use this tool to flash stock firmware on your Nokia Android device. This is the easiest way to install Nokia OST Tool on your Windows PC.
Download Nokia Firmware
Before proceeding, please be informed that the Nokia Service tool only supports firmware files in the .nb0 or .mlf format. Make sure you have the files in the above format. You can use the below resources to look for the Nokia Firmware files:
- Easy Firmware
How to Flash Stock Firmware using Nokia Online Service Tool
Please make a complete backup of your device before proceeding. This process might wipe the data on your device. Proceed with caution!
Next up, let us look into the steps by which you can install flash Stock Firmware on your Nokia device using the Nokia Online Service tool.
- Go to the folder where the Nokia Online Service tool is installed.
- Look for a file named ‘OnlineUpdateTool.exe’ and double click on the same to run it.
- Once you open the Nokia Online Service tool, you will see the below screen:
- In the above screen, click on the next button. You should be in the below screen now:
- This is the place where you need to choose the firmware file (in .nb0 or .mlf format) which you need to flash on your Nokia device. Simply click on the button with three dots which is right next to the text box. You will be prompted to select the file. Browse an select the file which you have downloaded for your device.
- Reboot your device into Download Mode: Now the steps to reboot your device might slightly vary from device to device, but, here’s a combination which works on most Nokia devices:
- Once you have selected the firmware, the ‘Edit Phone Information‘ button on the bottom right corner will become enabled. Click on it.
- You will be shown an error message, no need to panic. Simply click OK and you are good to proceed.
- The firmware flashing process would have begun by now. It might take a few minutes to finish. This is standard behavior and nothing to worry about.
Nokia Online Service Tool | Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Nokia Online Service Tool Password?
If the tool is asking for the password while you are trying to use it, it means only one thing: You have not replaced the patch file in the Nokia Online Service tool installation Folder. Read the ‘How to Install’ section carefully and make sure you have replaced the patch file.
Q. Nokia Online Service Tool asking for password even after replacing the patch file?
This can happen if you have forgotten to delete a file called ‘NokiaOnlineUpdateTool.exe.config‘. The file will be available in the folder where the tool is installed (which is usually C:Program Files (x86)OST LA). Please delete the same and you should be good to go.
Q. What type of firmware files does Nokia OST Tool Support?
The tool supports only official Nokia Firmware file types and they are .nb0 or .mlf formats.
Q. I am getting Error Code 2203 while trying to install the Nokia OST Tool. What to do?
The Error Code 2203 basically means that the user does not have sufficient permissions to install the program to the folder that contains the installation point or the temp folder. Make sure that you are logged in as an Administrator to install the programs on the computer.
Please note that the first boot after installing the firmware might take longer than usual. This is true for most of the Android phones and it is how it is expected to work. No need to worry, just wait patiently for a few minutes and your device will boot up just fine.
Please use the tool with caution. Using the tool with incompatible firmware or corrupt firmware might render your device unusable. Always make sure you have a full backup of your data while flashing stock firmware on your devices.
With our guide, hope you were able to install the Nokia Online Service Tool [OST LA 6.0.4 and OST LA 6.1.2] and successfully flash stock firmware on Nokia devices with the Nokia Online Service Tool.
Need help? Take a look at the Frequently Asked Questions Section or simply drop a comment below stating your problem and we will help you!