Huawei P20 Pro is the latest flagship device from the Chinese Manufacturer. If you have been looking for a way to root Huawei P20 Pro, we have the perfect guide for you. Read ahead to learn how to root Huawei P20 Pro with Magisk.
Huawei announced their first flagship lineup for 2018 in late May and took the world by storm. The new Huawei P20 Pro came with 3 cameras with a 40 MP RGB sensor, 20 MP monochrome sensor and an 8 MP telephoto lens. Moreover, all of them are Leica branded. It also scored an impressive score of 109 in the DxOMark benchmarks.
It’s just not the camera, the phone packs in great stuff in other departments as well. Powering the device is the HiSilicon Kirin 970 SoC with Mali G72 MP2 GPU handling the graphics and 6 GB of RAM to ensure smooth multitasking. It is also one of the few phones that runs Android 8.1 out of the box.
The phone runs on EMUI 8.1 which is Huawei’s iteration of Google’s Android. It packs in several features but some people tend to dislike it. If you are among those or if you are someone who wants to unlock the fullest potential of the Huawei P20 Pro, here is our guide to rooting it.
Advantages of TWRP Recovery
Before proceeding with the tutorial to install TWRP Recovery on Huawei P20 Pro, here are a few advantages of TWRP Recovery:
- You can easily root your Android device if you have TWRP installed. Then it is just a matter of flashing latest SuperSU Zip file.
- You easily install any custom ROM you want. Custom ROMs provide more flexible customization options for Android devices.
- You can flash mods such as ViPER4Android and Dolby Atmos for Android on your device to take your Android experience to the next level.
- You can flash image files (.img) files using TWRP Recovery which something that Stock Recovery cannot do.
- You make full Nandroid Backup of your device including your Apps and their data, contacts, messages, call logs, settings.
- You can easily restore the Nandroid backup after installing a custom ROM. No need to install all the apps and their data again and again.
- You can easily wipe the entire data/system/cache/dalvik cache etc.
- You can flash device-specific Android MODs as wells as Xposed Modules on your Android.
- Installing TWRP is a pretty complex task. Make sure to take a complete backup of your device before proceeding. Guide: Guide to Backup Android Device Without Root
- Make sure you have latest ADB and Fastboot tool installed on your Mac/Windows/Linux.
- Your Huawei P20 Pro must have at least 70% of juice (battery) left in it.
Download Huawei P20 Pro TWRP Recovery
You can download the Huawei P20 Pro TWRP Recovery by clicking below:
How to Root Huawei P20 Pro
Unlock the Bootloader
It’s the first step to root any phone. Before proceeding, make sure that you have enabled OEM unlocking in the developer settings of your phone. Now go through the link to know how to unlock the Bootloader: How to Unlock the Bootloader via Fastboot on Android.
Install TWRP Recovery
Go to the folder where you have installed ADB on your PC. Power off your Huawei P20 Pro. Connect the phone to PC and boot into Fastboot mode. Open Command Prompt on your PC and type the following command:
fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk twrp_clt_0.1.img
Now type the following command to reboot:
Root P20 Pro
- Download the latest magisk file.
- Store the downloaded files on your phone’s SD card.
- Disconnect your phone from your PC.
- Power it off.
- Power it on but make sure while doing so you hold power button and volume on key simultaneously. This will boot your device into TWRP Recovery.
- Swipe the button on the ‘Unmodified system partition’ warning.
- Tap on install.
- Navigate to the address where you have stored the downloaded magisk zip file in the 2nd step.
- Once done with it, swipe on the required area of the screen to flash it.
- When the installation completes, reboot your device normally.
Congratulations. You now have successfully rooted your Huawei P20 Pro. You can now install and try out your favorite root apps or you can even try out some of the awesome Magisk Modules.
Let us know about your experience during and after rooting your Huawei P20 Pro. This is the easiest way to root Huawei P20 Pro.